FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - End of ID/BP cross-check at boarding in France for AF flights, starting May 15th
Old May 20, 2012, 6:33 pm
NickB
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by San Gottardo
Airport security is yet another thing: the entire EU as well as non EU countries that are part of Schengen (e.g. Norway, Switzerland) as well as in some cases the USA are considered "clean", and transfers between these countries can happen without further security control. But that has NOTHING to do with ID checks or border control. In theory one could transfer in GVA from a flight from London to a flight to ROme without security check. But there would be a border control because GVA would be the entry point into the Schengen area.

all Swiss airports - yes
I am glad to hear that it is now possible to transit at ZRH from a "clean" country to another one without having to go through security again. It has been a while since I flew via ZRH but it certainly was the case that you had to go through security again when arriving/departing from/to LHR. Last time I transited via ZRH to go to LON a little over a year ago I had to go through security again and this was coming from ... GVA which, unless I am mistaken, would normally be regarded as a "clean" departure airport at ZRH.

That was also true in Milan (both airports). Ditto for AMS. I seem to recall it being the same as VIE but it has been some time since I flew via there so maybe my memory is failing me. To be honest, my recollection is that the vast majority of European airports only allow to connect without clearing security again for flights coming from Schengen rather than for flights from a clean country simply because the way they have configured departures and arrivals do not allow for distinct flows from non-Schengen clean countries with some exceptions, such as MUC.

Certainly my expectation as someone who regularly originate in LON is that I will be expected to clear security again at the connection point and I am pleasantly surprised when this does not happen.