Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air France, KLM, and Other Partners | Flying Blue > Air France Frequence Plus
Reload this Page >

End of ID/BP cross-check at boarding in France for AF flights, starting May 15th

End of ID/BP cross-check at boarding in France for AF flights, starting May 15th

Old May 10, 12, 12:01 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!
Original Poster

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club

Originally Posted by AF French travel agent portal
Suppression de la vérification de la concordance documentaire à l´embarquement au départ des escales de France.

Les autorités françaises ont décidé d´appliquer le régime commun de l´Union Européenne.

A compter du 15 mai 2012, la vérification de concordance entre les cartes d´accès à bord et une pièce d´identité est supprimée au départ de toutes les escales françaises, sur les vols Air France, y compris ceux assurés par DB / YS / A5 / WX.
Loosely translated:

effective May 15th, cross-check of boarding pass and ID documents when boarding the plane will be discontinued at French airports, for all AF operated flights, including those operated for Air France by Regional, Brit Air, Cityjet and Airlinair.
Old May 10, 12, 12:38 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
So they will not sure the person of the ticket is the person actually on the flight?!
Old May 10, 12, 1:10 pm

Programs: Flying Beurk Silver, BA Gold, BD Gold rememberer, A-club Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Gajan View Post
So they will not sure the person of the ticket is the person actually on the flight?!
I've read a lot of outcry against the ID check at boarding on FT, but I never understood why. I have nothing against the airline checking that the person boarding is the owner of the ticket (I wouldn't want someone to substitute his bp to mine and take my seat, but I can't really see that happening commonly). I wasn't under the impression that ID checks were delaying boarding.
Old May 10, 12, 1:47 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, BA Bronze, Accor Gold, IHG Plat
As I understand it, they will not ask to see your BP any more while stepping on the plane.
They continue to check your ID and BP with the machine while entering the gate holdingpen/jetway.

Am I right?
Old May 10, 12, 1:50 pm

Programs: Flying Beurk Silver, BA Gold, BD Gold rememberer, A-club Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph View Post
As I understand it, they will not ask to see your BP any more while stepping on the plane.
They continue to check your ID and BP with the machine while entering the gate holdingpen/jetway.

Am I right?
Sorry, but a more accurrate translation would be that they will stop checking that ID and BP match at boarding. I think it's the check made a the desk, not onboard the plane.
Old May 10, 12, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton Gold, BA Gold
same procedure for Schengen flights flying to France.
Old May 10, 12, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by chrissxb View Post
same procedure for Schengen flights flying to France.
So, harmonization is the sole benefit? I'll sleep better tonight knowing that aircraft boarding procedures are identical in the Schengen space...

Edit: marginal benefit, if you meet a friend at the airport flying elsewhere, you can switch your holiday destinations last minute. Yipeee. I am really missing the point of this change?
Old May 10, 12, 3:43 pm

Programs: FB Plat for Life, UAMP, BAEC, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Marriott silver, Hilton
Originally Posted by Richelieu View Post
Sorry, but a more accurrate translation would be that they will stop checking that ID and BP match at boarding. I think it's the check made a the desk, not onboard the plane.
You are most likely correct.

I have actually been flying with AB a couple of times recently and was surprised at first that they did not ask for an ID to be presented together with the BP at the gate upon boarding.
Old May 11, 12, 1:51 am

I also would feel better, if they would check the ID and the Boarding Pass like before.
Old May 11, 12, 3:20 am
formerly B7e7US
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA/DL PLT, Priority Pass, Marriott Gold, Thalys Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz PC, Other shiny cards
What will happen to those with mobile BPs then? In the US, it is not a problem since TSA does a positive matching between the BP and the ID before allowing passengers to go through security, but I've noticed that in most schengen airports, you only show your BP at the security checkpoint. So, if I get my automatic BP, chances are someone else could fly with it?
Old May 11, 12, 4:04 am

Originally Posted by Kölner View Post
I also would feel better, if they would check the ID and the Boarding Pass like before.
Why would you feel better? I don't see the point of changing because I didn't see the drawback of their practice, but I don't see any advantage anyway (except the marginal one about being stolen one's BP).
Old May 11, 12, 4:06 am

Originally Posted by B7e7US View Post
What will happen to those with mobile BPs then? In the US, it is not a problem since TSA does a positive matching between the BP and the ID before allowing passengers to go through security, but I've noticed that in most schengen airports, you only show your BP at the security checkpoint. So, if I get my automatic BP, chances are someone else could fly with it?
I'd say the risk is low. Unless it's a very short flight, you'll probably arrive at the airport, realize the problem and tell the airline... who will have no problem finding the thief since he's sitting at a designated seat on the plane.
Old May 11, 12, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Gold: A3, KL Silver: AZ, BA
Yay! So now we can sell all those non-transferable tickets, because they don't care who carries your boarding pass on to the plane! Good job, Air France!!!!!!!!!
Old May 11, 12, 5:22 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
Originally Posted by irishguy28 View Post
Yay! So now we can sell all those non-transferable tickets, because they don't care who carries your boarding pass on to the plane! Good job, Air France!!!!!!!!!
But the name of the ticket does need to match the traveller at check-in if you have luggage to check-in. Otherwise it may probably work.

Gajan
Old May 11, 12, 5:48 am

Programs: KE MC
Originally Posted by B7e7US View Post
at cdg 2e, airport security checked BP + ID. no need for ID on boarding cdg-mia. surprised at lack of thorough passport controls for exiting schengen....

Last edited by choijw; May 11, 12 at 7:15 am Reason: missing "thorough" between "of" and "passport". as pointed out by JOUY31, there are passport controls at cdg 2e.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: