FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Westin St. John Resort Villas, USVI [REOPENED, post-hurricane] [Master Thread]
Old May 13, 2012, 5:30 pm
zachary

Originally Posted by asdfjkl
Hi-- I've gathered from these posts a couple of things:

- Expect nothing but free and unreliable internet as a Platinum at the Westin St. John.

- The resort is nothing special and most of one's time should be spent exploring the rest of the island.

Still, I'm considering a visit for a week on points. I've never been to the caribbean, and this would be a solo trip for some R&R and a little adventure. Does anyone have any feedback on the following questions? Thanks so much in advance.

1) I've read elsewhere that St. John is very safe for solo women travelers, but will I have much fun? If the beaches are sparsely populated, there's only so much swimming, etc. that one can do safely.

2) Will I need a car? Considering it's my first visit, will I be able to find enough to do nearby? How often does the shuttle run? Where does it go? Does it just go to beaches, or also shops and restaurants?

3) Does anyone have a link to detailed instructions for getting to the Westin from the St. Thomas airport by a public ferry?

4) I'm trying to keep expenses low, but will splurge on sailing. I'm competent crew, and prefer smaller (under 35') to bigger boats. Any recommendations on trips or short (1-3 day) lessons? Local sailing clubs? What about windsurfing?

5) I will need internet access at least one day to work. If the in-room access is bad, will the lobby internet suffice? for internet calls? what about AT&T cell service?

Finally, I want to get away some place warm and coastal and use SPG points for the hotel. This forum is filled with avid travelers, so please let me know if you have better suggestions than St. John. I've been to all the Mexican resorts and Hawaii already...

Thanks!
I wouldn't worry about the beaches being too isolated -- like being all alone. That's especially true if you stick to the more popular beaches like Trunk Bay and Cinnamon Bay (both of which have food service). The time of year you are going is low season, so the crowds won't be huge, but you won't be by yourself.

Your comment about having fun was in connection with swimming, but to be clear, if you are looking for nightlife, St. John would generally not be your first choice. Grand Cayman would be better for that.

With regard to driving, as noted above, driving on the left is different, but you quickly get used to it. Cabs will generally be cheaper than a jeep (that's pretty much what everyone rents), but you won't be able to explore the same way. A compromise is to rent a jeep for only 1-2 days and take cabs the rest of the time.

Public ferry to St. John is simple, although it can take a while. Get your bags at STT. There will be cabs (vans carrying multiple people). Tell the cabbie that you want to go to the Red Hook ferry terminal. They will pair you up with others going to Red Hook. The ferry leaves Red Hook for St. John pretty much every hour and is $6 (I think). There are plenty of cabs at the Cruz Bay, St. John, ferry terminal to take you to the Westin. On St. John, a cab means an open air truck -- you sit in the back and share the ride with others. Fares are set by the government.

I really like St. John. I've been to Grand Cayman and, while 7 Mile Beach is nice, St. John is a prettier island overall with a number of very nice beaches.