FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2012)
Old May 8, 2012, 2:09 pm
pitflyer

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
5/6/12
Gold (me) and None (wife)
Award Tickets booked out of my account
AA MAD-MIA flight took off, had mechanical problem, landed, could not find part, flight cancelled. Everyone had to be rebooked and I completely lost my planned MIA stopover, went through JFK instead where I stayed at my own expense (though AA said they would have covered the hotel, I just stayed with family)
20,000 miles received per person automatically 2 days later via email. Also, since my INVOL reroute was booked as a 'paid' ticket received 3500 miles for the IB MAD-JFK flight.

I *think* that as a European flight I am due 600 euros per person for a cancelled flight that had me arrive more than 3 hours after, but its not 100% clear if it applies to 'free' flights and paid flights. Since the tix cost 20k miles basically the flight was free so I may let it go rather than try to escalate.

The email also indicated that AA would reimburse hotel stays in Madrid, but I am hoping they will instead reimburse me for 2 3 minute phone calls I had to make on an airport payphone in Madrid -- total cost -- $90!! Next time I will learn not to use up my prepaid SIM completely -- you really think once you're in the AIR on the way back to the USA you no longer need foreign money, SIM, etc, but lesson learned; until I"m back on the ground better keep service!