FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Popping my First Class cherry on my BAby, 3 States, 3 Parks, Oh and a Mustang!
Old May 7, 2012, 4:48 am
noniron

Programs: BAEC
The Grand Canyon

Hotel: Best Western Tusayan cost $200 per night

With the bright lights of Vegas behind us, and a break even at the tables!, it was time to head towards the Grand Canyon, this drive would take us to the Hoover dam and on to Tusayan via Williams which I didn't realise that part of the iconic Route 66 runs through. Can I ask a question of you, why didn't the time change when we crossed into Arizona? I think I remember that it did the last time I visited the dam.

If I can say one thing about driving in America is that the radio stations are great, I love listening to classic rock while driving and the stations were playing hit after hit, the car had a satellite radio fitted but it was mostly FM for me

We arrived in Tusayan late afternoon and after settling into our room it was time to head to the canyon rim and see a sunset over this natural wonder. After seeing something so many times on television or in photographs I can not describe the feeling of peering over the canyon edge on that first evening, it truly was humbling, nothing can give the impression of the vastness, the sheer scale, the colours, it oozed a mesmerising power that is still with me today.

The next morning it was a hike down into the canyon for us, so sorry FlyerTalkers I can not regale you with tales of a champagne helicopter flight, we were heading down under our steam!

Now take a close look at this next photograph, put your reading glasses on if needed, in the very centre do you see a white trail leading to the edge? That is called the Plateau at the end of the Bright Angel trail, 3000ft elevation change each way and a return trip of 12 miles! For someone who drinks as much whiskey as is medically allowable and partial to a wee Benson and Hedges this was epic! But as I told Mrs Noniron don't worry I'm a natural athlete!

And this is what you are rewarded with at the end..........

Note of caution if you are thinking about doing this, it is not recommended that you attempt this route as a day hike in the summer months.

At the summit I was expecting a glass of fizz and beautiful damsel back on the rim edge there to massage my aching limbs but had to make do with the euphoria of completing this and a cold Sam Adams!

Lets say goodbye to the canyon with a few more pics.......

Last edited by noniron; May 7, 2012 at 4:50 am Reason: typo