FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - FAQ No. 1 for Aegean Miles & Bonus: All You need to Know
Old Apr 24, 2012, 12:03 am
Richelieu

Programs: FB Silver, BA Silver, BD Gold rememberer, IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador, Hilton and Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Thank you. Nice!
You're welcome

Are you sure that the Hertz upgrades are worldwide and not just in Greece (and nearby countries)? Similarly, to earn miles on Hertz rentals, I believe the area is restricted and the rental needs to be booked through Aegean. As a general rule, miles from rental cars in the USA, for instance, require a small fee or a special rate that may not be very good.
I am not sure as it's not first hand knowledge, but contrary to the other mile earning methods which require using A3's website, if you go to the rental website, A3 states :

Simply go to https://rentacar.aegeanair.com or any Hertz office around the world and drive away with miles.
To get your miles make sure to:

quote your Miles&Bonus Member ID when making a reservation
show your Miles&Bonus card at the time of rental
I am not sure any rate is eligible for mileage accrual, but I guess so. Same for upgrade, they are supposed to be worldwide, not limited to Greece, Cyprus and Bulgaria, where award rental is also possible.

My understanding of upgrades on A3 is quite different. In particular, I believe that they can only be confirmed within 24 hours of the flight, so that you're paying miles for a standby upgrade, which I would not find to be very attractive.
It's not my understanding, but I am sure Greece-based members can tell us more about that. I'll update the FAQ where needed.