FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [REVISED] Southwest Airlines Card 50,000 Bonus Points, $2k spend
Old Apr 18, 2012, 1:43 pm
booyaa

Programs: Anything CC gives me
Originally Posted by brasov02
I think the general rule around here is to, if at all possible, never close a Chase card without using it as leverage to get another card. Actually I'm in the same situation as you with an open BA card that I intend to cancel here pretty quick and also getting ready to apply for the SW card within the next month or so. I will apply for the SW card first and if I get any guff from Chase about giving me another one of their cards (I've got 4 open right now) I will just offer up my BA card in exchange. If I cancel the BA before I apply, I won't have much to bargain with since my other Chase cards probably don't have enough credit line to spread around to a new card.
Short story: if you think you'll need to talk them into giving you a card, always try to have something available to bargain with.
If you choose to close the BA card before applying for new card, you can ask the credit line from BA card to be moved to any other card before they close. Then when you apply for new card and they ask for credit shuffle, ask for the previously moved credit line to be used.