FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Using your City of Birth rather than the Country on Passport
Old Apr 16, 2012, 8:23 am
GUWonder
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Fredrik74
Tell me about it. I'm born in 'X Hel. Trefald' according to my passport. Try find that on a map.

For normal countries I've used the real place of birth when applying for visas but am not sure the DHS or whoever American official would approve of such a move.
I'm just waiting to see if the US tries to boot out naturalized US citizens of Swedish heritage and perhaps the children of such persons born abroad who were accepted (at least once, but often more, by the US Government) as being natural-born US citizens born abroad to at least one US citizen parent -- and doing the booting on the basis of the person or their parent providing false information on US government documents related to place of birth.

Unlike some other countries (Sweden included), the US Government is not so kind in accepting that favorable administrative decisions (made in good faith by US government employees) are not to be normally subjected to being rescinded years -- even decades later -- by the same or other US Government employees on any given matter even in the absence of being able to demonstrate fraud/corruption. [Stare decisis for administrative determinations doesn't exist in the US like it does in Sweden, which is a pity for reasons that will become increasingly apparent to more people over time.]

The way the USG deals with registering US citizens born in Sweden is to rely upon the hospital addresses for the place of birth even as it means ignoring what is listed in the government (Skatteverket Personbevis)) paperwork. However, when it comes to US passports for such persons, the practice is most frequently that of just listing the country of birth. So there are a lot more US citizens with a place of birth in Danderyd whose US passports list place of birth as Sweden; while the US CRBA (sort of a USG birth certificate for births abroad) lists Danderyd; while Sweden's government has the place of birth as who knows what -- sometimes even Kiruna for such births!