FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What is the cheapest thing you have done to save on transportation?
Old Apr 12, 2012, 6:51 pm
chemist661
In Memoriam

Programs: Hertz 5 star, Priceline Hotel bidder. AA PLT, 1MM.
Originally Posted by EmailKid
You'll also save on the cost of a taxi, because you can take the rail to town in the morning.

Myself, I was on the same flight a few years ago, but spent the money for a taxi and got a good night's sleep in the Geylang district, which is full of cheap hotels like Fragrance chain and such.

And I tend to take the bus to my home airports

EmailKid
I did that a couple of times about 10 yrs ago. I had a late arrival due to a mechanical and I used the free internet (at that time it was free after 11PM) and walked around. I used the rail service to the city and went to the hotel at about 7AM. Since it was shared (hostel) accomodation, it was only $9/night. I was willing to pay for the extra night but when they asked why I was late, I said my plane had a mechanical and I wanted to arrive when it was not dark.

The hotel only charged me for the 2 nights ^ instead of 3 and let me check in at 7AM. I took a long nap, woke up at about 1PM and walked around the town. That was the new 7th Storey Hotel (built 1953--old but clean).

A fun trip and at that time, I paid <$500 that included stopovers in Tokyo, Hong Kong & a 24 hr layover in HNL. ^ Got a boatload of EQM's and RDM's. Those were the days!!!