Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Budget Travel
Reload this Page >

What is the cheapest thing you have done to save on transportation?

Old Sep 13, 2008, 11:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Club Premier, AmEx Plat, Priority Pass

When I was reading the discussion about the SD to LA bus some commented about some things they have done in order to save some money in transportation so instead of hijacking the thread I thought that maybe some of you could share the cheapest things you have done to save money in transportation, I will start sharing mine:

While I studied in Japan, residents aren't allowed to get JR passes and as I lived in Hiroshima the Shinkansen to Tokyo is around 150 USD. However twice a year they sell a ticket that allows you to use the entire JR system during a day and in the end the price per day is 23 USD however, you may only use local trains.

After 16 hours of traveling (departing 7:30AM arriving 11:30 PM) and 10 transfers I rode the 900kms between Tokyo and Hiroshima (returning from vacation) for 23 USD, it was tiring as hell but I would do it again without hesitation.

What's the cheapest you've gone to save some money on transportation?
Old Sep 14, 2008, 2:24 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
NYC to Washington on Bus R/T 19 USD.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 2:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, AS MVPG
NOt sure if this is related, but it's still "saving" for me. Umm, I did couple MRs to PVD. The first one was an overnight stay, instead of getting a hotel, I just stayed at the airport for 6 hours that night.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cheapest thing in terms of lowest price paid: Bus from CMB to the city centre. Cost me 100 rupees (they're around 170 to the Euro) for the 30km.

Cheapest thing in terms of least amount saved: Split train tickets on various UK routes. Sometimes I only save 70p or so, but it's the same trains so I might as well keep the change!
Old Sep 14, 2008, 5:32 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Walked

To get from the UK to Russia once while still a student back in the 1990s, I took a coach from London to Stockholm (36 hours), an overnight ferry to Tallinn and then an overnight train to St Petersburg. Can't remember how much it was, but cheaper (albeit slower) than flying and an adventure in its own way!!

Last edited by bcmatt; Sep 14, 2008 at 5:38 am
Old Sep 14, 2008, 5:36 am
Suspended

Programs: UA/CO(1K-PLT), AA(PLT), QR, EK, Marriott(PLT), Hilton(DMND)
When I was in University and interning at a large Healthcare corporation, I wanted to go to a conference for which a pharma company was providing free registration and hotel accomodations. I found out a couple of people in the company who had planned to go could now no longer attend. Since tickets were in the $500 range I asked their secretary if I could have their tickets. She agreed. So, I took a friend. It was in the late eighties so the security concerns we .currently have to deal with (name checks, etc) were not in place. I think the biggest issue was the question about whether or not the passenger had packed their own checked bags
Old Sep 14, 2008, 6:15 am

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Originally Posted by flyer89
NOt sure if this is related, but it's still "saving" for me. Umm, I did couple MRs to PVD. The first one was an overnight stay, instead of getting a hotel, I just stayed at the airport for 6 hours that night.
My review of sleeping at TUS can be found here.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 6:37 am

Programs: UA, CX, BR
thumb. hostel. flying standby. sleeping airport chair (or floor). all quite a while ago.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 6:06 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
A pretty long thread in TravelBuzz! about walking to the airport. And yes I did, as well as posting early on to the thread

I've taken Victoria Clipper from SEA to YYJ when flying was too expensive.

EmailKid
Old Sep 15, 2008, 1:32 am

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
The bus from OTP to the IC on the KLM YVR-OTP deal was quite fun.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 10:14 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, HHonors Diamond
Not transportation necessarily, but lodging. Decided not to spend on a hostel and slept on Champs Elysses behind a staircase before catching a bus to Buveaux (sp?) airport to fly out to Barcelona on RyanAir the next morning. I was with two friends, so we took turns. Epitome of cheap!
Old Sep 15, 2008, 8:16 pm

I don't like to bother people for rides to the airport at horrible hours, and I'm still a student, so it helps to save the hostel fee every now and then. I've spent nights on the floor in (or around)
TPE, ICN, NRT, BKK, CAI, DAM, AMM, YOW, DEL, CCU, SIN, Kota Kinabalu, BAT, AMS, LGW, IAD, HNL, GUM, SPN...and many more

Most recently, I couldn't stay with any friends in Seoul, so I paid for one night in a hostel (where I could get a locker to store my bag) then spend the rest of the week in a Jjimjilbang, going to get new clothes from my bag each morning. Great fun.
Old Sep 15, 2008, 8:32 pm

When I was young and going to London often, I tavelled by city buses, pretending I did not speak English too well and that I was lost.

When the conductor came around to sell me a ticket, I would ask for the opposite direction.

They were very nice people , especially with foreigners, and I will get out at the next stop without spending a penny.

I could travel that way for several blocks for free, especially at busy stops.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 11:04 am

I can already hear the howls of indignant protest but I used a fake international student card obtained in Thailand to get a student flight from Cairo to Athens which saved me around $200.
Old Sep 16, 2008, 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by Aldoman
What's the cheapest you've gone to save some money on transportation?
I actually like travelling by land and especially by train to watch amazing scenery, interact with locals, pass by such middle-of-nowhere places that would otherwise be hard to get to, and also because it's convenient and relaxing to board compared to airplanes (eat dinner, wander into the train station and board, no shoe-removal, laptop-booting) and ticket sales are straightforward (walk upto ticket counter, pay fixed price that everyone else is paying, apply appropriate discounts that you may be eligible for) rather than the silly airfare game (check availability in Y-83/Z-5323/N/Y-DOWN/IPXZIYCE class, stay up at 4am watching flyertalk, etc. etc.). If my vacation time is not severely limited (i.e. I have a couple weeks at least) I find the train ride, even if 40+ hours, totally worth it and *part* of my vacation experience, while the same 5 hours for a plane journey would be 100% wasted time IMHO.

So I've travelled 10000+ km in China, probably 40000+ km in eastern & western Europe, 2000+ km in India, and also in Vietnam, Malaysia, Peru, and a small amount in the USA.

It is definitely also much easier on the wallet than plane travel, not to mention enormously more environmentally friendly since trains move along relatively level track with little friction, carrying thousands of passengers, amounting to much less energy consumption per unit distance as well as cleaner operation since the power can be efficiently generated at central electric power plants. Modern train technology is actually capable of being 30-40% the speed of a plane. Most aren't yet, but by supporting and using what's there now, train operators get additional revenue to help them develop, grow, and become faster. This actually does happen as more people use the services (and as you may notice, it doesn't happen in the USA because people don't use public transport as much as they should).

Buses are also cool too and cheap, but they aren't quite as scenic, classy, and comfortable to sleep in as trains.

You can most certainly travel just about anywhere you want in this world without using a plane. If you don't believe this, watch the video "Around the World in 80 Days" by Palin. It's also an *extremely* fun-to-watch movie if you're into exotic forms of travel.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.