FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lufthansa bassinet details
View Single Post
Old Mar 28, 2012, 5:03 pm
BostonMark

Programs: Air Canada Elite 35; United Gold (maybe Platinum?)
I have recently spent A LOT of time on the phone with Lufthansa and Amex trying to book a ticket. We're going SFO-FRA-BCN on the A380 SFO-BCN (with some other flights on both A330s and A340s as we jet through Europe with a 14 month old).

We booked in business class and were going to use *A miles to upgrade to F. The seats were available, but once we added the lap infant we could no longer upgrade.

After some time on the phone with Lufthansa they told me there are NO Bassinet positions in F anymore and to ignore seatguru and other sites that claim there are (also, Seatguru has the wrong bassinet positions for the 380 in J class too).

Not believing what I was being told, I called two more times and asked different agents (once getting a call center in South Africa) about bassinets in F and was told they don't have them. One person explained that the New F pods don't allow for a good bassinet position.

I was told by all three people that infants were allowed in F as lap children or with their own seat, but there would be no bassinet for them. Bassinet positions are available in J and Y class only.

In order to be guaranteed a bassinet you have to have it as a special service request (same with the lap infant). The bassinets are up to 14 kg and 83 cm and are supposed to be the biggest in the industry. I was told that they are attached to the bulkhead and no other types are allowed on the planes as they can be a hazard.

So, we were left with: cancel the baby's seat, upgrade, then add him back and have him share our seats, or keep to J with the bassinet. We're keeping to J with the bassinet.

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by Mrs.C.Howard
Did you actually end up flying in F with your baby? How was it?

I am looking at booking 2 adults + 1 infant in F for FRA-NYC and finding it really difficult to get information on the amenities for the baby: is there a guaranteed bassinet? what is it like? where does it go?

I must say that finding info on travelling with infant in F generally is impossible! Quite often staff have little idea and the reality on board is not always what was promised.

Last edited by BostonMark; Mar 29, 2012 at 9:41 am Reason: Clarify a statement