Lufthansa bassinet details

Old May 31, 2007, 11:21 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Lufthansa bassinet details

It seems LH infant pax are getting more and more obese...

1/214 16.05.07: Limits für Baby Bassinettes

Aufgrund der Zulassungskriterien und Abmessungen der Baby Bassinettes sind diese geeignet für Kleinkinder bis zu einer maximalen Größe von 83 cm und/oder bis zu einem maximalem Gewicht von 14 kg.

Entsprechende Informationen finden Sie auch unter GGAIRLHRESPROC.412

FURTHER NOTE THAT THE SIZE OF A LH/BSCT ALLOWS THE USE OF A BSCT FOR INFANTS WITH A MAXIMUM LENGTH OF 83 CM AND TOTAL WEIGHT MUST NOT EXCEED 14KG . FOR INFANTS BIGGER THAN 83CM AND WITH MORE THAN 14KG A BSCT SHOULD NOT BE REQUESTED.

Um unseren gemeinsamen Gäste eine erfreuliche Reise zu ermöglichen, empfehlen wir, bei der Reservierung dieser Sitzplätze entsprechend zu informieren.
Old May 31, 2007, 11:40 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
Originally Posted by oliver2002
It seems LH infant pax are getting more and more obese...
Thanks for the information. It is just under the limit for my carry-on lugagge (8 + 4 kg), so that I can use it therefore, when the overhead bins are full.
Old Jun 1, 2007, 4:33 am

Programs: UA *S , MR LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Hertz PC
FWIW this is actually more than other airlines offer. The NWA bassinet is only available to babies with a weight of under 8kg, and also Condor was a little hesitant to allow the use of a bassinet for a 9 month old baby last summer that was nowhere near a two-figure weight.

That said 14kg is quite much for a child under 2 years of age...my daughter of 19 month is 82cm now and weighs about 11.5kg. So obesity is probably less of a problem...height is more an issue. And of course the problem to keep a child of that age within such a bassinet...;-)!

Greetings - Dirk
Old Jun 1, 2007, 4:56 am

Programs: LH SEN, SN Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche, BA, QF, AF
FURTHER NOTE THAT THE SIZE OF A LH/BSCT ALLOWS THE USE OF A BSCT FOR INFANTS WITH A MAXIMUM LENGTH OF 83 CM AND TOTAL WEIGHT MUST NOT EXCEED 14KG . FOR INFANTS BIGGER THAN 83CM AND WITH MORE THAN 14KG A BSCT SHOULD NOT BE REQUESTED.
Note that it says "AND" in this part, but "und/oder" in the German description...

Which one is it?

SmilingBoy.
Old Jun 4, 2007, 8:10 am

Programs: MR Plat, HH Gold, PC Plat, IC Amb
We just returned from an transatlantic flight with LH and our 7 months old (77 cm, 11 kg). IMHO neither height nor weight was an issue. He did fit very well with at least 10-15 cm additional room. I did not test the weight although they looked rather solid. (Can mail a picture if somebody is interested)
Old Jun 4, 2007, 9:44 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by SmilingBoy
Note that it says "AND" in this part, but "und/oder" in the German description...

Which one is it?

SmilingBoy.
It says "maximum length" & "length must not.." so it is actually perfectly equivalent to the German edition. The "and" in the English version just is not a logical 'and' but a gluon for the sentence.

Does anyone know if that refers to the MTOW of the baby or the maximum landing weight ?
Old Jun 4, 2007, 4:37 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
Bassinets for babies of up to 14gk is quite on the high side compared to other airlines. I think only BA has those special children's seats which you can use instead of a bassinet if your little one is not so little anymore.
Old Jun 5, 2007, 2:39 am

Programs: LH SEN
hi

Here is my experience, we were denied a bassinet for our 19 month old son on NRT-MUC this year on 4:th January. The FA said that it was a new LH policy, which said babies over 1.5 year old, will not get a bassinet due to size/weight.

However on LH FRA-NRT in February we got a bassinet and the FA said that she have heard about the January policy being recalled, or something like that.

Anyway, smile at check-in and you get a seat blocked for the little almost 90% of the time. You get to get the fast lane in security and always board first.
Travelling with infants are better than first class
Old Dec 9, 2011, 1:03 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
How are the bassinets on the A380?

I've always rated the bassinets on LH very highly, as well as the general policy of not having to wake up your child and remove them from the bassinet the moment the seatbelt sign lights up due to slight ripples in the stratosphere.

Are the bassinets just as good on the A380 it terms of size and sturdiness as they are on the A340 or 747, or would they be more like the SQ ones this time around (maybe there are different ones for the A380 that all airlines use)?
Old Dec 9, 2011, 1:51 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
I always find them very comfortable.

sorry, j/k. I have no idea.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA *G MM, SPG LTG, AA, LH
We flew this past summer with a bassinet outbound A346 and return A380. I did not see any difference in size, sturdyness or mounting.
We were on the window (2seater + Bassinet) on the 346 and in the middle section on the A380 with another family (4 seats, 2 bassinets).

No experience with SQ here.

edited to add that both flights were excellent with a great friendly crew. We'll do this again next summer.

Last edited by roesner; Dec 9, 2011 at 1:58 pm Reason: add flight info
Old Dec 10, 2011, 11:06 am

Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Thanks for the info. LH has the best bassinets I have seen because they are large enough to accomodate your average <2 year-old kid. It might be kind of tight if they are close to turning 2, but overall the design is adequate.

I haven't seen the Finnair ones, but on their site they state that the baby must NOT be older than 6 mths old when using the bassinet (or "basket" as they call it).

SQ is ok with everything apart from their annoying policy of rushing to the bassinet row as soon as the seatbelt sign lights up in order to inform parents that they must wake their child and take them out of the bassinet. And of course SQ pilots are the most "trigger-happy" of all when it comes to overusing and abusing the seatbelt sign...
Old Dec 11, 2011, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by roesner
in the middle section on the A380 with another family (4 seats, 2 bassinets).
I have my tickets booked on the A380 but for some reason the system automatically assigned me the middle bassinet row... but gave me the middle two seats (E/F) for each journey.

What is up with that? Bassinets are given to the outside seats of the middle row (D/G). Just a bug that needs to be sorted out manually by calling them?
Old Dec 12, 2011, 2:18 am

Is the middle section of row 76 on the A380 a bassinet section, cause the LH hotline is adamant that it isn't though SeatGuru shows that it is (they have a typo there though so on mouseover they refer to it as row 72).
Old Dec 13, 2011, 11:40 am

Programs: UA *G MM, SPG LTG, AA, LH
I would call them.
We had 61D and E. There was another couple with a bassinet in 61F and G.

I made the entire booking over the phone as we had flexibility with our travel dates and I wanted to ensure availability (and confirmation) of a bassinet.

I would assume that row 76 DE/FG and 88DE/FG are also bassinet positions, but I did not check. Again, call.

A380 seatmap: http://www.lufthansa.com/mediapool/p...dia_871686.pdf

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.