FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SIM For Belgium
Thread: SIM For Belgium
View Single Post
Old Mar 27, 2012, 2:55 pm
joshwex90
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by David-A
US landline are also free via Skype I believe, certainly for some customers.

There are many voip providers though, should have said VoIP not skype, but that frequently seems to result in people not understanding what you are talking about.
Fair enough. I also find the call quality (when on a good network) to be much better on Google than Skype.

Originally Posted by WC_EEND
If you're planning on having long conference calls, don't bother buying a pre-paid SIM from Mobistar, Proximus or Base, the only thing they're good for is sending millions of texts to Belgian numbers. For all other uses, you'll be financially raped.
Skype or any other VOIP service is the way to go in my opinion.
I got one from a store I don't remember (in BRU, right after you come out of baggage claim, there's the information desk to your left and a store right in front of you). The SIM I bought was from a company my Belgian friend had never heard of. Paid EUR 9.95 ($13.17) and it didn't work. Only successful call I made was to customer service, and even that was after multiple failed attempts. Disputed the charge with Capital One, and they re-credited the money. (Store refused to let me return it.)

So I'm in agreement about not buying SIMs!