FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What!!! Complimentary Upgrades only clear for YBM fares within the window?
Old Mar 14, 2012, 2:07 pm
thach1ef

Programs: UA - 1k, Hilton - Diamond, Hertz - 5 Star Gold
Originally Posted by Red_Rob
It's not comparing 1K's to 75-99K, but rather to PMCO 75K+ (including those over 100K, sometimes >200K+). I.e. I was comparing the experiences of top elites from each program.
Ok so PMCO "1K's" have it better now because they are in their own tier whereas before they were with the folks from 75k-99k. Is that the gist? If so, fair enough. I'm not PMCO so it didn't help me out. But I understand what you're saying if that's the case.

Of course it has to do with upgrade rates. If we were upgraded 100% why would any of us care what the upgrade rules are. I for one care deeply about upgrade rates. I would contend that were you sit on a list gives no satisfaction to most people, but sitting in 1st class does.
You're totally missing the point. Upgrade rates are based on upgrade rules. The rates don't matter one bit, because the rules are the first thing we have to deal with. Just because you are 100% now and 100% before doesn't mean that 1K's have it better. You'd have to look at every single 1K and compare their upgrade rates if that's the route you want to go.

A much simpler and straightforward method is just looking at the upgrade rules. Now that I know you were only referring to PMCO, it's kinda different. But from a PMUA perspective, the upgrade rules have now put NUMEROUS people in front of me that weren't there before.

That alone will effect my upgrade rates. Whether it happens now, or in 2 months, or in 2 years. It will happen. And that's why upgrade rules > upgrade rates. Rates only tell you about the past.