FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Disappointed with AMEX Dispute Resolution
Old Mar 14, 2012, 1:58 am
JFKLAX321

Originally Posted by Kamron
To make matters worse, American Express informed me that merchant is held to the laws pertaining to the sale of goods and services in the state that they reside. I purchased a service via a website that was to be executed in California. If American Express doesn't know how to apply the law properly (which in this case is California's jurisdiction, not New York), then how they can make a proper decision?
The fact that you purchased a service via a website (and then sent additional email correspondence) might, serve as sufficient enough contacts to allow California to exercise jurisdiction over the company. In no way does that imply that California law would control the transaction. These inquiries are entirely separate. More importantly, you probably already waived your right to choose which venue / law applies (and the merchant too).

I feel sorry for you, and hope this gets worked out, but before you go on a rant against AMEX you should keep in mind that you're lucky it's not VISA or MC. I have had only one dispute resolution (with VISA) and it was truly a mess.

Last edited by JFKLAX321; Mar 14, 2012 at 2:07 am