FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - WARNING: eTicket Receipts Print ENTIRE Credit Card Number
Old Mar 7, 2012, 9:28 pm
Mike Jacoubowsky

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
Originally Posted by warreng24
On Tuesday (3/7), I checked in and printed an eTicket Receipt at the PMCO Kiosk at PHX.

The receipt prints out my ENTIRE credit card number (the one used to book the ticket). Another change that I like.

Just a word of warning for those that chose to print one.

Also, I tried both the PMUA and PMCO check-in kiosks. The PMCO ones were significantly quicker. The PMUA ones were very slow. Perhaps the PMUA kiosks (known affectionately as the chickens) have less processing power than the PMCO ones.
That's a fuzzy gray area (printing the entire number) and certainly a practice that PCI standards discourage. It's a serious security issue since people routinely throw away receipts, and you don't want to throw away a receipt that has your entire card number on it. For a crook to take advantage of it, all that's needed is to try approximately 24 possible expiration dates. You still retain the mild security of not having the CVA number on the back compromised, but many transactions don't require that.