Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

WARNING: eTicket Receipts Print ENTIRE Credit Card Number

WARNING: eTicket Receipts Print ENTIRE Credit Card Number

Old Mar 7, 12, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K (1.5MM)
Exclamation WARNING: eTicket Receipts Print ENTIRE Credit Card Number

On Tuesday (3/7), I checked in and printed an eTicket Receipt at the PMCO Kiosk at PHX.

The receipt prints out my ENTIRE credit card number (the one used to book the ticket). Another change that I like.

Just a word of warning for those that chose to print one.

Also, I tried both the PMUA and PMCO check-in kiosks. The PMCO ones were significantly quicker. The PMUA ones were very slow. Perhaps the PMUA kiosks (known affectionately as the chickens) have less processing power than the PMCO ones.
Old Mar 7, 12, 10:27 pm

Programs: UA/CO 1K, AA Gold, SPG PP, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by warreng24 View Post
The receipt prints out my ENTIRE credit card number (the one used to book the ticket).
Oh good, UA is going to take the extra money they make from selling my upgrade and spend it on fines for PCI violations.
Old Mar 7, 12, 10:28 pm

Programs: Last 1K flight 1/21/11; fun while it lasted, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 &
On Tuesday (3/7), I checked in and printed an eTicket Receipt at the PMCO Kiosk at PHX.

The receipt prints out my ENTIRE credit card number (the one used to book the ticket). Another change that I like.

Also, I tried both the PMUA and PMCO check-in kiosks. The PMCO ones were significantly quicker. The PMUA ones were very slow. Perhaps the PMUA kiosks (known affectionately as the chickens) have less processing power than the PMCO ones.
That's a fuzzy gray area (printing the entire number) and certainly a practice that PCI standards discourage. It's a serious security issue since people routinely throw away receipts, and you don't want to throw away a receipt that has your entire card number on it. For a crook to take advantage of it, all that's needed is to try approximately 24 possible expiration dates. You still retain the mild security of not having the CVA number on the back compromised, but many transactions don't require that.
Old Mar 7, 12, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat., NEXUS, Amex, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
So they only show part of our MP #'s in the emails, but they'll print a receipt with the full CC #...
Old Mar 7, 12, 10:57 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Have you told them (United) it's doing that? I can't imagine they did that intentionally.
Old Mar 7, 12, 11:01 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, National Exec Elite, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, AMTRAK

Gotta be a bug, I printed one Sunday night from kiosk and it shows XXXXs then last four digits which is how it should be.
Old Mar 8, 12, 12:19 am

Programs: UA 1K
That sounds like a bug.

I did think it interesting that when I used the kiosks at SEA to print out a boarding pass, it printed my MileagePlus number as "AB******" (first two characters correct, last six characters asterisks). A boarding pass printed manually by an agent on their side of the ticketing counter contained my entire MileagePlus number.
Old Mar 8, 12, 1:09 am
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: UA Gold 1.8MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold

The receipt prints out my ENTIRE credit card number (the one used to book the ticket). ......
Printed BPs and then eTicket Reciept at SBA's kisok/chicken (since SBA was only a PMUA station, likely a PMUA unit) and it only shows the last 4 numbers of the credit card
-- so this issue does not appear to be universal.