FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Airpoints Upgrades Gone!
View Single Post
Old Mar 2, 2012, 10:16 pm
paintini

Programs: Airpoints, Qantas, KrisFlyer, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by benkepes
I've been thinking about comments in here regarding Rob's responsibility for these changes. Some have suggested that as CEO he should take the heat...

I'm not so sure - while it's true that the CEO is the ultimate leader, Rob has a history of hiring smart people and empowering them to have autonomy.

The key measure is, I believe, his willingness to change policies based on feedback he receives. I believe this is happening and, while I don't like the changes of late, I'm not prepared to crucify Fyfe for them.

FWIW I've had extensive dialog with many of the AirNZ execs and have found Rob the most communicative and open to suggestion... just my 2 cents...
Agreed, I have had limited dealings with Mr Fyfe or Mr Parton but when I did ask for some help they stepped up big time and secured a decent refund for a school trip caught up in the RWC pricing schema. I've been to investor presentations fronted by Mr Fyfe and was impressed. I am an AIR investor but unlike others who suggest this was a "bet", there is sufficient reputable research to make an investment case at current share prices.

One could be cynical and see the "put it out there approach" regarding OneUp has saved the cost of engaging a reputable marketing firm to quietly learn what AIR's customers wanted or were at least prepared to accept without wholesale desertion. AIR certainly knows now what we don't like. From an accountant's perspective this might seem like money saved on the bottom line.