FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Airpoints Upgrades Gone!
View Single Post
Old Mar 2, 2012, 9:52 pm
LagunaKiwi

Programs: UA Prem Exec Air New Zealand Gold Elite
Originally Posted by paintini
From the current T&C for Airpoints, confirmed upgrades go after 30-5-12, standby upgrades remain in place only for GE.

As a GE I have three upgrade options:
1) use my recognition upgrades, these CAN confirm up to 355 days in advance but only if certain booking classes are available and so the confirm period is 355-0, where 0 is check-in. These classes can be introduced into the flight closer to departure so that your recognition upgrade confirms then and there.
2) use a standby upgrade, where no bidding process is involved, the rate is sure to rise, and is ONLY confirmed at check-in.
3) enter into a bidding process with OneUp. This was initially to be known as flipping the bird but OneUp is catchier.

Thanks paintini. That's exactly how I interpreted the change as well.

Not good enough for me, and unless they revert back to confirmed upgrades, I will leave the programme.

I have no problem loosing the ability of a double upgrade.

I realize the the airline needs to enhance revenues but the ability to plan ahead, purchase a Premium Economy ticket, and then find a day where it would allow for the upgrade to be confirmed was by far the best aspect of being a Gold Elite.

I can't believe that I'm going back to United. Despite the fact that their planes/service and general flying experience leaves much to be desired ... they do in fact treat their Elites pretty well.

Rob Fyfe should not be the scapegoat. I have met him on occasions and he seems to listene to complaints. Lets hope as benkepes suggests that he will listen again!