FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Airpoints Upgrades Gone!
View Single Post
Old Mar 2, 2012, 8:44 pm
kaimanawa

Programs: NZ*GE, A3*G, UA Prem, QF, AA
Originally Posted by DCF

So now we just need to consider our alternatives. And bear in mind that North American * Golds have no UA/US lounge access.

My thoughts are this:
1) NZ based elites with regular premium fares to the USA should switch to United Mileage Plus, and continue to fly on NZ and do OneUp bids.
2) passengers from that group who can afford longer travel times should switch to Virgin Velocity or Qantas and travel via Australia, especially if they also travel regularly to other continents.
3) NZ based elites who mainly travel within NZ are stuck with Airpoints.
4) Australian frequent flyers have a very wide choice, and NZ would now be the program of last resort.
Re: Lounge access in North America. If this is a priority, join A3 now and credit there until you get Gold status (20,000 miles, but check their earn charts as lots of fare buckets credit 50%). This is good for something like 3 years and easy to do while your NZ *G status expires.

And as for your exit strategies, I think that's reasonably good advice, though I'll add a some subtle suggestions.

As for group (1) UA is the best of the North American programmes (oh how far NZ have fallen that I'm saying this!) due to the upcoming IAH-AKL service, though AC does tend to have better earning rates if you fly to Canada and travel on *A in Europe.

I'd lean towards QF if you're in group (2)... Oneworld status is more useful than Velocity, and you can also get QF credit if you go to LAX via NAN or PPT on FJ or TN respectively.

Group (3) does have an option if they fly between the main centres. JQ now lets you pay $15 for QF credit, though QF status doesnt' get you into any NZ domestic lounges.