FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Making connections at LOS - avoid it if you can
Old Feb 24, 2012, 11:49 pm
UAaddict

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold
Making connections at LOS - avoid it if you can

Earlier this week, I flew SA from MPM to JNB to LOS and then connected to CO from LOS-IAH (and then from IAH to SAN). I am writing about my experience to warn others about the hassles they may have to go through to connect at LOS to get onto the CO flight from LOS to IAH. If I have to do this over again, I will avoid connecting at LOS at all costs.

For my recent trip to S Africa and Mozambique, I cashed in some CO miles for a C class ticket to MPM (with a stopover at CPT). I was initially excited that on the return trip, I got seats on the JNB to LOS to IAH connection, since I thought that the long flight from LOS to IAH would be optimal for uninterrupted sleep (as opposed to the SA flight from JNB to IAD that makes a stopover in DKR), and this connection would allow me to get back to SAN by noon time so that I could still go into the office to work in the afternoon.

But after having made this journey earlier this week, I told myself I will never connect through LOS again - if I have the choice. And here is why -

1. For US passport holders, a visa for Nigeria is needed just to transfer through LOS. (I suppose this is only fair since citizens of many countries have to get a transit visa for the US if they are flying from abroad to the US and then connecting to another country)

2. Your luggage may not be transferred automatically at LOS. When I checked in at the SA counter at MPM for my flights, the SA agent tagged my bags all the way to IAH (thru JNB and LOS). When I asked her specifically if I will have to pick up my bag at LOS, she told me that I would not have to. While I was going through transit at JNB, I asked another SA agent at the transfer counter at JNB if I would have to pick up my bag at LOS. Once again, I was told that my bag will be transferred onto the LOS to IAH flight automatically. After arriving at LOS and going through immigration there, my friend and I decided just to look at the luggage conveyor belt just in case. Was I glad we did - our bags were right there on the luggage conveyor belt, having been off loaded from the flight from JNB to LOS. Had we not looked at the conveyor belt and picked up our luggage at LOS, I am sure we would never see our bags again.

3. I had to "bribe" my way out of Nigeria essentially. After going through the metal detector on the departure level, one of the security personnel started looking through my carry on luggage, and demanded cash from me. I was not bringing anything illegal onto the plane. She asked me for $100; I ended up giving her $60. $60 was not much, I know, but it was just a totally unpleasant experience. I know that corruption/bribery are everyday occurrences in other countries. I wonder if other travelers have had similar experiences going thru LOS.

I have made international connections through at several different countries before, and this experience going through LOS was by far the most unpleasant one. For those of you who are cashing in your miles and finding award seats going through LOS, don't rejoice too much. Be prepared for hassles going through LOS!!!