Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Continental OnePass (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Making connections at LOS - avoid it if you can

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Making connections at LOS - avoid it if you can

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2012, 4:10 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Qatar Airways Privilege Club
Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
Sounds like you got bad information on your baggage. Good that you were pro-active about checking the carousel.
That said, I'm perplexed why you would connect through LOS without doing some basic research first?
If you had called the Nigerian embassy or checked online, you would have found out straight away that a transit visa was required.
Barring that you could have checked FT ... in the Africa forum, there's this thread on Lagos http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/afric...1-nigeria.html Post #44 says you need a transit visa.
Also, if you had done some checking in advance (including reading that thread) you'd have found that Lagos is not the easiest city to navigate, in more ways than one. That also should have given you pause.
All-in-all, sorry to hear you didn't have a good experience. But with a little advance preparation you could have avoided the visa issue and more than likely chosen another connection point, including ACC (UA non-stop to IAD).
I am planning to transit via Lagos. I've done my homework but I am trying to confirm some information given to me by the OnePass Service Center. My planned itin is IST-LOS....LOS-IAH. I was told that *A has an agreement that partner carriers have an agreement that you can check in on separate itin for partner flights (in this case I would have TK check me in for a UA flight)...my layover time is 55 mins, but there is a transfer desk in the international terminal (when i say transfer desk i mean 2 security guys at a wooden desk that says transfer) not a *A transit desk like you'd find elsewhere. So I would need to have TK check my bags through to IAH AND print my BP's so I don't have to exit the secure area to check-in. I am not worried about bags not making the flight. In Nigeria, bags do transfer but not until they've gone around the belt a few times and it's obvious that no one is there to claim them. I have a 6 month in-out visa for Nigeria but if I stay on the secure side of the airport I have enough time to make the connection (even if my bags get left)...my question is...can TK forward my bags and print my BP's and can I have my docs verified at the gate and not at the check in counter?...
Old Mar 11, 2012, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SM Plat, B6 TrueBlue, UA MP, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by EliteNewbie
I am planning to transit via Lagos. I've done my homework but I am trying to confirm some information given to me by the OnePass Service Center. My planned itin is IST-LOS....LOS-IAH. I was told that *A has an agreement that partner carriers have an agreement that you can check in on separate itin for partner flights (in this case I would have TK check me in for a UA flight)...my layover time is 55 mins, but there is a transfer desk in the international terminal (when i say transfer desk i mean 2 security guys at a wooden desk that says transfer) not a *A transit desk like you'd find elsewhere. So I would need to have TK check my bags through to IAH AND print my BP's so I don't have to exit the secure area to check-in. I am not worried about bags not making the flight. In Nigeria, bags do transfer but not until they've gone around the belt a few times and it's obvious that no one is there to claim them. I have a 6 month in-out visa for Nigeria but if I stay on the secure side of the airport I have enough time to make the connection (even if my bags get left)...my question is...can TK forward my bags and print my BP's and can I have my docs verified at the gate and not at the check in counter?...
I'm sorry that sounds like pure folly.

Why would you fly IST-LOS-IAH, when you could easily fly IST-FRA-IAH?

I mean why take a chance with all the pitfalls involved in flying through LOS?

And only 55 minutes to transfer in the chaos there? What if your TK flight is late?
Old Mar 11, 2012, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by TWA Fan 1
I'm sorry that sounds like pure folly.

Why would you fly IST-LOS-IAH, when you could easily fly IST-FRA-IAH?

I mean why take a chance with all the pitfalls involved in flying through LOS?

And only 55 minutes to transfer in the chaos there? What if your TK flight is late?
I had already booked my UA(CO) flight then the riots erupted, so I moved them...I'm trying to use credits already paid for...
Old Mar 11, 2012, 5:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
I had already booked my UA(CO) flight then the riots erupted, so I moved them...I'm trying to use credits already paid for...
I agree with TWA Fan 1 -- you are asking for trouble with this proposed transfer from one PNR to another. I don't believe he was referring to the riots in Nigeria, more the general less than optimal operations at Lagos airport, including the collection of requisite fees . 55 mins connection int>int on one PNR is easily doable at many airports around the world. 55 mins connection int>int on two PNRs is challenging at best. Put LOS into the mix, and you really are asking for a headache. There is this thread in the Africa forum (about transit visas) http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/afric...eeded-los.html that also describes transfer protocols. I would suggest you find an alternative routing.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 5:47 pm

I've never transited LOS but I've flown there a few times and (no offense) but I seriously question the sanity of that plan.

You could *easily* go through FRA, LHR, AMS or CDG on TK/UA and save yourself a mountain of headaches compared to LOS.

I'd much rather misconnect in FRA where there are probably a ~dozen other options that day to get me home. At LOS you're likely overnighting.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 5:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Why do you have two threads going on the same topic? You asked the same question in the *A forum http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-...ual-check.html
Old Mar 11, 2012, 6:23 pm

Programs: Not care as much as before...
probably no good to say so, but I agree with you. Africa......not a so nice place
Old Mar 12, 2012, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by UAPremExecflyer
Why do you have two threads going on the same topic? You asked the same question in the *A forum http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star-...ual-check.html
I posted in the wrong place, and didn't know how to move it...(sorry)
Old Mar 19, 2012, 8:28 am

Thumbs up Update

Based on the advice here, I decided to NOT check bags and just do the mad dash through the airport. Lucky for me the UA flight was delayed and I made the flight. I would never attempt this with checked baggage but with hand baggage, it was <barely> ok....Now I have to fight with UA to credit my THY miles to my account
Old Jul 18, 2012, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
It can't be that bad when you don't even need a visa!

TIMATIC
Old Sep 29, 2012, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
I transited once from domestic to international and did not experience any problems. Had a US passport but I'm from India so wonder if that had anything to do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.