FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Advice on getting to 200k UA miles
View Single Post
Old Feb 19, 12, 9:51 pm
civico

Originally Posted by Frequent Miler View Post

First, go through the Ultimate Rewards Mall to Staples. Staples sells gift cards online. With your Ink Bold, buy as many gift cards this way as you can actually feasibly use. Except for bank Visa cards, there are no shipping or service fees when purchasing these. You will get a total of 9 points per dollar for these purchases! (5X from Ink Bold + 4X Ultimate Rewards Mall). If you meet your minimum spend entirely this way, you would get an extra 5000 X 9 = 45,000 Ultimate Rewards points!
I great suggestion Frequent Miler. I'll be using this strategy when I need to hit the minimum spend on my 2nd Ink Bold card (I got the "old" one in November). Thanks for the heads up!

Originally Posted by biggestbopper View Post
I would be looking at the Chase INK Bold if you have anything that can be called a biz.

Could also consider getting some Citi AA cards, SPG Amex (converts to AA with a bonus) and going one way UAL one way AA or BA.
Since Europe is only 50k AA in business class one way, you could get the Citi AA cards (50k each) and then your problem is solved in one fell swoop. Enough miles to get you and your wife to Europe! But DON'T redeem them on BA flights; you'll pay a huge fuel surcharge! Use your AA miles to redeem on any other OneWorld carrier (Iberia for example, as you're flying to Europe) and you won't pay a fuel surcharge.

Originally Posted by drbobguy View Post
You can get 50k UR points from the Ink Bold with $5000 spend in 3 months (which seems to be about your limit for spending).

You can also get 30k Freedom points which (as of now) transfer to UR points by signing up for the freedom card.
And you're likely to get approved for both of these at the same time, seeing as one is a biz card and one is a personal card. If you don't go the Citi/AA route, this is the way to go!