Reload this Page >

Advice on getting to 200k UA miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advice on getting to 200k UA miles

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2012, 4:12 pm

My friend is about to start the process. It is so nice to have a willing student in the points game. My other friends could care less.

Just to confirm, he you can still get the Onepass card bonus then the Explorer card bonus later. Onepass is not my first choice of cards but it floats to the top since it will go away soon.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 6:35 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by RichmondFlyer
Looking at this summer, having a hard time finding any flights from Dulles to Rome for less than 110,000 RT in COACH. How far in advance do you suspect you'll need to book to find those flights in business class at 100K per RT?
Start looking 330 - 332 days in advance, then keep calling until you get what you want.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 1:04 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA, BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by vortix
What do you mean by "Freedom" points? I have a Freedom card, and it earns Ultimate Rewards points. I've never heard the points called "Freedom" points.

However, I know that the Ultimate Rewards points earned with the Freedom card cannot be transferred to UA or other partners (though they can be transferred to another Ultimate Rewards account, which can then transfer to UA or other partners). Perhaps that's what you're referring to?
I used to be able to redeem 6000 Ultimate Rewards points ( 1 point for $1 charged on Freedom Card ) for 5000 United MP Miles. Certificate would come in the mail and needed to be submited/registered on United site.
Don't know if it still available.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 2:29 am

Originally Posted by yuryc
I used to be able to redeem 6000 Ultimate Rewards points ( 1 point for $1 charged on Freedom Card ) for 5000 United MP Miles. Certificate would come in the mail and needed to be submited/registered on United site.
6000 for 5000? :/
Old Feb 24, 2012, 4:07 am

Originally Posted by yuryc
If you hold the Sapphire Preferred or Ink Bold you can consolidate any UR points, previously called Freedom points/whatever in the SP or IB account and transfer 1:1 to UA, CO, KE and BA.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 12:38 pm

Programs: AA, BA, WN CP, CO, AK, LH, DL, UA, VS, SPG, IHG, Hyatt, Hilton, Carlson, Fairmont Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by mileshound
My friend is about to start the process. It is so nice to have a willing student in the points game. My other friends could care less.

Just to confirm, he you can still get the Onepass card bonus then the Explorer card bonus later. Onepass is not my first choice of cards but it floats to the top since it will go away soon.
Please take a look at Million Mile Secrets blog post of 2/24/12.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by Frequent Miler
I agree with others that the Ink Bold is probably your best bet. That would give you 50K bonus points plus at least 5K due to the minimum spend requirements. Here's the really cool part: since the Ink Bold gives 5 points per dollar for office supply purchases, you can follow this strategy to meet your minimum spend and get many more points:

First, go through the Ultimate Rewards Mall to Staples. Staples sells gift cards online. With your Ink Bold, buy as many gift cards this way as you can actually feasibly use. Except for bank Visa cards, there are no shipping or service fees when purchasing these. You will get a total of 9 points per dollar for these purchases! (5X from Ink Bold + 4X Ultimate Rewards Mall). If you meet your minimum spend entirely this way, you would get an extra 5000 X 9 = 45,000 Ultimate Rewards points!

Unfortunately, Staples.com doesn't carry a great selection of gift cards, so the next best option is to go to nearby office supply stores and find their gift card racks. Buy Amazon gift cards, gas cards, etc. These will net you 5 points per dollar.

Another option, with or without the Ink Bold:
You can also do things like "Buy Ultimate Rewards Points for 1.1 cents each".

Good luck!
Have you tried going thru the UR mall to purchase Staples GC cards and then another time to purchase other gc's with the Staples GC's?
Old Feb 26, 2012, 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by tripletmom
Have you tried going thru the UR mall to purchase Staples GC cards and then another time to purchase other gc's with the Staples GC's?
Yes and that won't work. You cannot buy other gift cards with gift cards.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by tripletmom
Staples won't even let you use their gift cards online for any purchases. They can only be used in-store. Crazy policy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.