FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Do you buy a higher fare-class (Y, B, U, H, M) solely to increase SWU/CR-1 chances?
Old Feb 7, 2012, 8:57 am
1k650

Programs: UA1k; Bonvoy Titanium; Hilton Gold; IHG Gold; AA Plat Pro
Do you buy a higher fare-class (Y, B, U, H, M) solely to increase SWU/CR-1 chances?

Do you buy a more expensive ticket just to increase your upgrade chances? For example, if W is widely available, do you pay more money for a V, Q, H or even higher fares?

I was recently on a SFO-FRA flight (OK, I know the most difficult flight to upgrade in UA's system). Bought a V fare many months out instead of W (+$125) to increase my UG chances. SWU did not clear. At airport, the flight was wide open - less than one-third in economy. All classes wide open - L9 K9 S9 T9 XY9...

I was no. 42 on the UG list. Started chatting with a friendly gate agent, who told me that the top 2 on the list were GS with full Y tickets ( Z fare is often cheaper) and everyone else above me was on a B, H, M or Q fare - all 41 people...

One person cleared. The other GS on full Y sat in coach, along with 41 other GS and 1ks on higher-than-necessary fares.

Experiences?