Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Do you buy a higher fare-class (Y, B, U, H, M) solely to increase SWU/CR-1 chances?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you buy a higher fare-class (Y, B, U, H, M) solely to increase SWU/CR-1 chances?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2013, 4:27 am

Programs: UA Plat-Million Miler (1.6MM), IHG-Plat Amb; Amex Plat-P, Marriott-Gold;Hertz Gold; Hilton-Gold
Smile R/T UG from W Fare BAH-ORD

I purchased a W Fare BAH-ORD-BAH in late January 2013 for Travel in March 2013. I got confirmed business class on all legs at the time of purchase using my GPU (SWU) certs. The W Fare was about $400 more then the lowest cost economy ticket. I probably would NOT have bought the W Fare if I did not see available "R" seats at time of booking. I would have instead stepped up to a Z class. Either way UA would get the additional revenue from me.
Old Apr 5, 2013, 4:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cova
Point is - if you want to upgrade on UA - check that R is available and that you can use miles/instrument. I would NEVER pay more for a ticket to increase your upgrade chances. Unless you can get an instant upgrade (and you call and know that at ticket time) it would never make sense to pay more.

AA is a world of difference. Much more luxurious flights - better food etc - and much better upgrade chances. UA just is not competitive with AA or even DL on the upgrade front.
I've given up on the CPU lottery. If I can't confirm at booking with instant UG, miles or instrument, I default to AA, where UGs are easier and the food is better.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.