FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - First trip to Toyko
View Single Post
Old Feb 5, 2012, 2:35 pm
LapLap
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmtobin
I guess that's what I thought to be the case.. Did not know if maybe JAL Y+ seats would be close enough in comfort to make up for the 14 hrs layover.
I've flown in Y+ on JAL and in Business class on AC.

There's no comparison.

JAL's Y+ seats just give you a bit of extra leg support. I was opped up on a LHR-NRT flight whilst I was pregnant and valued the extra support but there's no way I could have slept in those seats. Other benefit I remember was noise cancelling headsets.
I was in the front row of the Y+ cabin and those seats have no actual foot rests. Those behind had foot rests attached to the seats in front of them... I would have loved to have traded despite the very generous leg room for those on the front row. The more I remember, the more I recall that it wasn't quite as comfortable as I would have liked, even though it was an improvement on regular Y.

However, a 14 hour layover is a significant downside and unless I could make some use of the time I'm not sure it's worth it. Can't your wife do some shopping in Canada? With the yen exchange rates, it might be the cheapest outlet she'll find for her passion for retail therapy. If you can make your layover into a holiday feature then the AC option would look attractive. Unless you are rather wide you can sleep pretty well in these seats. I remember wishing my honeymoon London-Toronto flight was longer as I was arriving into Canada.