FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - JFK to Thailand (Bankok, Phuket, Pataya...) in CX First. Alone. Good Idea or Bad?
Old Feb 3, 2012, 5:42 pm
rankourabu
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Igor718
For the record .......... I am straight. :-)

Almost bought my tickets but now I see all the sh*t going on in Thailand and it turned me off. The JetSki scams, the bar scams, all the bad stuff, corrupt police. Are they making it look worse than it is? I am going alone and thought I usually don't get scared of stuff ... kind of don't feel like getting into fights etc.
you'll be fine. I went to Thailand on my own at 23, and been back about 5 times in the last decade. Just hang out where young people do - and not the potbellied older western men who go for reasons already mentioned.

Thailand is one of the easiest places on earth to travel around - if you are really worried about meeting people - take a "tour" aimed at our age group - such as Intrepid or Geckos. You ll have people to hang out with everyday, or go off on your own every day if you like. - and cost wise - its a wash.

By tours I dont mean a bunch of Americans with cameras wearing socks and sandals traveling 50 to a bus staying at the Sheraton. You get a small group of people our age, a tour leader, local transport and guesthouses.

I had a great time on my 4 weeks Intrepid trip around SEAsia, its the best way to see everything hassle free... although in Burma I was happy to go off on my own.