Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

JFK to Thailand (Bankok, Phuket, Pataya...) in CX First. Alone. Good Idea or Bad?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JFK to Thailand (Bankok, Phuket, Pataya...) in CX First. Alone. Good Idea or Bad?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2012, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, CO

So I am holding on to some great tickets (Cathay Pacific, first class) JFK to BKK. Only problem ... I am traveling alone. 30 yr old male.

Good idea or bad?

I easily get along with other travelers but don't want that to become a task, you know what I mean?
Old Feb 2, 2012, 7:35 am

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
CX First is never a bad idea. Enjoy the trip!
Old Feb 2, 2012, 7:38 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by inlanikai
CX First is never a bad idea. Enjoy the trip!
Yea but at some point I do need to get off of it and enjoy the land :-)
Old Feb 2, 2012, 7:53 am
scr

Programs: M&M, BAEC
You should prepare yourself to being approached by bar girls quite often, at least in Bangkok and Phuket.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 9:25 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scr
You should prepare yourself to being approached by bar girls quite often, at least in Bangkok and Phuket.
Out of curiosity .... do they speak English?

Someone told me you can pick up a girl in one city and bring her along with you to wherever you go or fly. I guess not necessarily for a "hourly pleasure" .... not my cup of tee ... but just to have someone along with you.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 9:30 am

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Originally Posted by Igor718
Yea but at some point I do need to get off of it and enjoy the land :-)
So, build a stopover into your itinerary. JFK-HKG then enjoy HKG for a day (go to Ned Kelley's Last Stand in Kowloon ). Then HKG-BKK and relax.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 9:53 am
scr

Programs: M&M, BAEC
Out of curiosity .... do they speak English?

Someone told me you can pick up a girl in one city and bring her along with you to wherever you go or fly. I guess not necessarily for a "hourly pleasure" .... not my cup of tee ... but just to have someone along with you.
My guess is that they speak just as good english as any other person there trying to sell you something, be it a tailor or a fake clothes seller.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 10:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by inlanikai
So, build a stopover into your itinerary. JFK-HKG then enjoy HKG for a day (go to Ned Kelley's Last Stand in Kowloon ). Then HKG-BKK and relax.

Nah ... I will avoid staying at Hong Kong .... not enough days on my trip. Most people go to Thailand for 2 full weeks ... I'll only have 10 full days.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 11:30 am

So I am holding on to some great tickets (Cathay Pacific, first class) JFK to BKK. Only problem ... I am traveling alone. 30 yr old male.

Good idea or bad?

I easily get along with other travelers but don't want that to become a task, you know what I mean?
How could travelling first class to SE Asia alone possibly be a bad thing? Maybe I've been a solo business traveler for too long, but I find traveling with others interrupts my routines.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 11:37 am

What exactly makes you worried?
Old Feb 2, 2012, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by brendog
How could travelling first class to SE Asia alone possibly be a bad thing? Maybe I've been a solo business traveler for too long, but I find traveling with others interrupts my routines.
You're right, I have no problem traveling alone especially for business but this is a different kind of a trip.

Originally Posted by MTHTravel
What exactly makes you worried?
1. When I am on the beach.... alone ... can get a bit lonely.
2. Going to bars/clubs ... alone .... also a bit strange, no?
3. Checking out some good restaurants ... kind of weird dining alone. Never did that.

It's just that award travel these days is hard to get (for good dates, etc) and I feel bad losing these great CX seats just because I have no one to go with me. Most of my friends are in relationships, so no way are they flying to Thailand without their girl :-)
Old Feb 2, 2012, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you're generally comfortable being alone, you'll be fine.

There's nothing wrong with traveling/eating/beaching/lounging by yourself. People do it all the time.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 2:47 pm

Programs: Onepass Infinite Plat.MM, UA 1K,Marriott PP,Hertz gold,Hyatt Gold,AA NADA,CO P-CLUB LIFETIME,UA CLUB
Red face Lonely

I am travelling to BKK & HKT in May, by myself. If I want to stay by myself, that's an option as wel as meeting people is an optioin, an adventure if you would. I am staying in a 5* hotel & a great resort. I don't see how I can help but have a great trip.

My nature is to share exciting times with someone but if I am by myself, I'm ok with that too
Old Feb 2, 2012, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

I'll just have to make sure I don't pick a "Couples" resort/hotel.
Old Feb 2, 2012, 2:58 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

There is nothing wrong or unusual about traveling yourself. If you want, there are ways to meet other travelers (couchsurfing, hostels, etc). If you want to go exploring yourself, you can do that too. Don't worry what anyone thinks, just have fun.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.