FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Justification of J ?
View Single Post
Old Feb 1, 2012, 2:17 pm
JPL9869

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by lwildernorva
Let me suggest one more thing. Your company has a policy already. Saving money by spending less than this policy allows may have good or bad effects, depending on the size of your company and its corporate culture. I think the good effects are obvious and are more likely to be realized the smaller and leaner your company is.

As the company you work for gets bigger, generally, there is a culture of corporate perks expected at each level. And somebody who comes in and is seen to undercut that culture may be viewed as endangering the perks expected at and above that level. Keep in mind that at some of the bigger companies, the reason that you get to fly in J is that someone a level or two or three above you expects to fly in F and someone a level or two above
them expects to have access to a private jet.

As Mel Brooks famously said in Blazing Saddles, "We've gotta protect our phony, baloney jobs, gentlemen." Just substitute in "perks," and I think you'll find that's the attitude at a lot of places.
I work for a company that does $3B in revenue however, the division I work for is essentially a start up. It is our parent company that has the 7+ in J policy and yes, there are jets at corporate. I report to our GM who reports to the President / CEO of our parent company. I am the only one in my division that travels overseas.

My compensation / bonus will be based on profitablity of the company as a whole. I'm sure in a year or two, there won't be a problem booking J, but at this point I feel that every dollar counts.

Depending on the flight, I don't really feel more rested in J, just a little more comfortable. A little ambien helps as well... I'm just thankful for status...