FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Reward Availability LHR - BKK
View Single Post
Old Jan 16, 2012, 7:21 am
uk1
Suspended

Originally Posted by kirbster73
HI there,

I have been reading lots on here about reward availability and have been following the LHR -BKK flight each day as the flights get released for travel next January. I've been waiting til midnight until the flights get released. Each day for the best part of the last 2 weeks there have been 2F, 2C, 3W and 4Y reward seats released. So I was thinking I was in luck as I need to fly on the 4th Jan 2013 and have managed to save enough points for Business Class for the 2 of us. THis morning, I've logged on at exactly midnight to find that there are no first or business class seats released!

Is this because it's a Friday night flight? What chance do I have of getting 2CW reward seats on this flight? How comes they didn't release any premium class seats on this flight when they have released 2 seats every day since 24th December? Living in Bangkok, we have saved for ages to be able to upgrade and it's so frustrating when things don't work out! Any advice?
Welcome.

The issue is I'm sorry to say really simple. You have it in mind (I think) that every BA flight will have a seat or two for redemption and if you are "quick enough" you'll nab one ... or two. Your strategy is correct ie log on all the time particularly just after midnight .... but you're choosing flights that BA hope they can sell. The idea that every flight has redemption availibility and if you are quick enough you'll get it ... is the source of your dissapointment. Alternatively .. you can wait optimistically for last minute seat releases which will probably "do your head in" and tip you over the edge if you need to make plans.

The attitude to redemption is that either you pay for seats when you need them or your dates and periods away on return trips must be really - almost pathalogically flexible (quadrupally if you want two seats .....) and you must expect to be dissapointed ...... or that you will use your Avios to go anywhere.

This isn't what you want to hear but it is a starting point for you understanding how it might work.

Report back and let us know how it goes.