FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA issuers announce EMV cards (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature).
Old Jan 13, 2012, 1:03 pm
garyschmitt

Originally Posted by D582
No this won't work. Despite the card number and expiry date being the same, the magnetic stripe data will be different. The service code on the magnetic stripe of an EMV card is different from that on a non-EMV card. (This is how a EMV terminal knows when you swipe an EMV card and prompts you to use the chip reader instead). As well, the discretionary data field is likely different as issuers use that field as a way of validating the version of the card being used.
Exactly. I've tested this. When I forgot the PIN to my chip-pin card, I lost the ability to swipe and sign. The card became useless. I swiped, and the machine rejected the card because the track data apparently disclosed the fact that the card had an EMV chip. Even though I wanted the product and the merchant wanted my money, the transaction was impossible because of the track data and how the merchants PoS device was (commonly) inadvertently configured.

A magstripe-only card swiped just fine at the very same terminal. Plus it had the extra legal protection of a signature - which is not given on US-issued chip-pin cards.