FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - USA issuers announce EMV cards (Chip & PIN -or- Chip & Signature).
Old Jan 11, 2012, 5:47 pm
kebosabi

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
I have a Citibank Aadvantage card with my photo on the front. It's useful because I don't have to dig in wallet for my DL if a store cashier asks for ID. The ID is right on the card.
Though I haven't seen a Citi photocard, is the photo positioned the same as BofA photocards; to the upper left corner of the front of the card?

If so, I could understand why they may have difficulty in incorporating a photo to a chip card as the location of the EMV chip is around that area: the chip would just obstruct your face and torso which defeats the purpose of a photo being there.

The photocard concept is withering away fast though; haven't seen any bank really pushing the photocard concept as much as they used to.

Very few merchants (or the minimum wage earning cashier) really checks ID these days either as their main objective is get through you as fast as possible and get to the next customer waiting in line behind you. The only place that I know where they still check ID is my local BestBuy, and even then it varies from cashier to cashier.

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach
I am thinking of getting a new chip card, but keeping my old photocard for use in the USA. When I travel to Europe, I would just swap cards in my wallet and take the chip card. The new card would have the same account number.

Is that possible? Or would the old card die when I get and activate the new card? What about the three-digit code on the back? Would I have to use the new three-digit security code when shopping online?
Depends on numerous of factors.

If you get your new chipped card and if the card number and the CCV2 three digit code hasn't changed, then the two probably can be used interchangeably. I can't say for certain so to be safe I'd bring along both cards during overseas travel.

If not, I probably won't risk it and start using the chip+mag stripe card as a total replacement over the photo+mag stripe one.

Last edited by kebosabi; Jan 11, 2012 at 5:52 pm