FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2012 Platinum Status: Which Program Has Best Value - Weigh In
Old Jan 5, 2012, 6:06 pm
tluxe

Arrow 2012 Platinum Status: Which Program Has Best Value - Weigh In

Reached SPG Platinum end of 2011 - so I'm covered for 2012. I'm reflecting on the past year spend vs. value of SPG program benefits (Plt).

My thoughts:

- Starpoints - without promo's (double and triples) the 3X works out to value of .035. Feels like a lot of spend to get 10,000 points - for a free night at a decent property - which 90% of the time you can find cash rates at better value. Leaves you to better use as C&P - but have to search around for these.

Starpoints Summary - best value on more spend. Not much value on straight points award nights.

- Upgrades - Too subjective so I don't count on it.
US = sometimes, Europe = better, Asia/Pac = better.
St. Regis = Depends on Property (DOP)
Westin = Worst
Sheraton = Best
Lux Collection = DOP
Others - nothing to upgrade too that's tangible

Upgrade Summary - value only when/if you can get it. Lot's of variables to possibly receive something. Nothing guaranteed. Intangible.

- Upgrade to Club
Sheraton = best (value in the comp food and beverages)
Le Meridien = DOP

Upg to Club Summary - some value if your arrival and departure times synch up with club offerings. Seems that a fair % of mine are after/before Club times where comp food and beverage is offered.

- Local Amenity - 250/500 Starpoints - Like giving you $8.75/$17.50 towards future spend. OK - I guess.

Local Amenity Summary - Value towards future spend.

My Summary of SPG Plt - Best values are on future spend. Disappointing since once you get to this level - after spending 2-3-4 months out of the year at hotels, your best program values are to spend more when you just want some guaranteed privileges in exchange for your loyalty.

So I'm thinking for 2012 to review other programs like Hyatt/Hilton/Marriott. Anyone aware of analysis on FT comparing these apples to apples?