Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Starwood | Starwood Preferred Guest
Reload this Page >

2012 Platinum Status: Which Program Has Best Value - Weigh In

2012 Platinum Status: Which Program Has Best Value - Weigh In

Old Jan 5, 2012, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Arrow 2012 Platinum Status: Which Program Has Best Value - Weigh In

Reached SPG Platinum end of 2011 - so I'm covered for 2012. I'm reflecting on the past year spend vs. value of SPG program benefits (Plt).

My thoughts:

- Starpoints - without promo's (double and triples) the 3X works out to value of .035. Feels like a lot of spend to get 10,000 points - for a free night at a decent property - which 90% of the time you can find cash rates at better value. Leaves you to better use as C&P - but have to search around for these.

Starpoints Summary - best value on more spend. Not much value on straight points award nights.

- Upgrades - Too subjective so I don't count on it.
US = sometimes, Europe = better, Asia/Pac = better.
St. Regis = Depends on Property (DOP)
Westin = Worst
Sheraton = Best
Lux Collection = DOP
Others - nothing to upgrade too that's tangible

Upgrade Summary - value only when/if you can get it. Lot's of variables to possibly receive something. Nothing guaranteed. Intangible.

- Upgrade to Club
Sheraton = best (value in the comp food and beverages)
Le Meridien = DOP

Upg to Club Summary - some value if your arrival and departure times synch up with club offerings. Seems that a fair % of mine are after/before Club times where comp food and beverage is offered.

- Local Amenity - 250/500 Starpoints - Like giving you $8.75/$17.50 towards future spend. OK - I guess.

Local Amenity Summary - Value towards future spend.

My Summary of SPG Plt - Best values are on future spend. Disappointing since once you get to this level - after spending 2-3-4 months out of the year at hotels, your best program values are to spend more when you just want some guaranteed privileges in exchange for your loyalty.

So I'm thinking for 2012 to review other programs like Hyatt/Hilton/Marriott. Anyone aware of analysis on FT comparing these apples to apples?
Old Jan 5, 2012, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by tluxe
Disappointing since once you get to this level - after spending 2-3-4 months out of the year at hotels, your best program values are to spend more when you just want some guaranteed privileges in exchange for your loyalty.
25 one night stays bags you Platinum, way less than 2-3-4 months. Having said that, maybe there are better options out there for you depending on your travel destinations.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 8:14 pm

Programs: Hilton, Marriott, SPG, Delta, Continental
I'm doing the same sort of analysis. I'm Platinum Hilton and the treat me very well. After that AMAZING Q4 promotion (4 stays == free night certificate good for ANY property) I'm very, very happy. I end up getting about 15 points per dollar which is quite impressive. The properties vary quite a bit from dingy (Hampton I'm looking at you) to impressive (nothing has topped Hilton Athens). Good news: there are tons of properties so no matter where I go there is a Hilton. Makes it easy.

With SPG - you can get up to 3x points per dollar. Sometimes they have run a promotion where it will be up to 9x points.

I like to redeem my points internationally (usually better bang for the point and lots of fun). A category 5 hotel in Brazil (the best they had) costs 12k-156 SPG points depending on season. The top Hilton I found in Brazil costs 35000 points - almost double SPG. I have found SPG properties to be better than Hiltons on the whole. They are also much more "unique."

New features at HHonors - cash and points is now offered! Plus you can pay more points to get upgraded suites! Finally!

Tough call - anyone else want to weigh in?
Old Jan 5, 2012, 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by benjaminchodroff
I like to redeem my points internationally (usually better bang for the point and lots of fun). A category 5 hotel in Brazil (the best they had) costs 12k-156 SPG points depending on season. The top Hilton I found in Brazil costs 35000 points - almost double SPG.

You can have opinions, but the above is an invalid comparison to make. You earn more with Hilton (10x is the base + elite bonus). 12-15k SPG is MUCH more expensive than 35k HHonors.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 11:25 pm

Programs: UA - 1K 1MM; Hyatt - Explorist; Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
I end up getting about 15 points per dollar which is quite impressive.
Yes, but just like currency conversion 1 Starpoint does not hold equal value to 1 Hhonors Point. They'll get you on the redemption. Most Starwood properties are 7,000 - 20,000 per night; for Hilton 40,000-50,000 plus for a mid-tier property is not unheard of.

This isn't to say that Hilton doesn't have a valuable program, I hold Diamond with Hilton and Platinum with SPG, but SPG continues to be my primary as I perceive the earnings to redemption to be superior to Hilton. Plus I find Starwood's high end properties (those where I typically redeem) to be some of the best out there.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 4:34 am

Programs: AA PLT, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Platinum, FPC/Accor Platinum, HHonors Diamond
After spending a couple weeks in Europe in hotels from SPG, Marriott and Hilton, I hate to say I was a lot more impressed with the Hilton (where I usually stay least) in terms of quality, service and price. I found the SPG properties to be more expensive while not having anything over the other two in terms of quality, and in the case of a couple of Sheratons, way less. I also found extras like minibar and food prices to be ridiculously high compared to those in other brands.

I still like SPG best for points as they are a LOT more valuable than Hilton's and the no fuss late checkouts are a big plus too. Marriott's new AC association is quite nice and a good value, but Marriott is a lot tougher to keep status with.

The lounge/breakfast/internet access is pretty much the same for all 3. The lounges in the Hiltons this last year have been the best by far.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by vandalby
Plus I find Starwood's high end properties (those where I typically redeem) to be some of the best out there.
That's exactly why I'm considering SPG vs Hilton -- the high end properties, especially in the US, seem to be much better than Hilton's. However, I do like like Hiltons properties abroad best... tough choice :-/

I think I'm going to stick with Hilton until I hear of a good deal otherwise. It's painful to rack up all my points in less than adequate Hamptons, HGI's and occasionally mediocre Doubletrees (I prefer Embassy Suites and Hilton) but the payout seems to be best, especially when redeeming abroad. Redeeming in the US is a waste - 65k points for a NYC hotel is too high.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
These threads come up periodically and it always boils down to what each individual values and prefers. There is no perfect loyalty program, but certainly ones are better suited for different types of travelers.

As a reformed Hilton Diamond I've found that SPG works significantly better for me as a top tier. Quick data set:
  • Hilton wins on sheer volume of properties. It's pretty hard to find a location where there's an SPG but there isn't a Hilton.
  • SPG wins on consistency and quality of those properties.
  • Free internet is a wash
  • Consistent free breakfast is a win for Hilton
  • Corporate customer service is a complete cluster f* at Hilton
  • HHonors is about as easy to understand as the tax code. Not even the employees get it.
  • Value of points is clearly in favor of SPG
  • Hilton consistently runs better promos
  • SPG has far more aspirational properties in locations I like to dump points at compared to Hilton
  • SPG has upgrades as part of policy (practical application is, of course a bit different). Hilton has jedi-mindtrick language about upgrades and doesn't offer them, as a matter of policy.
  • Welcome amenity bonus, SPG has 500 points (except 4P), which is usually about 5% of award stay value for that type of property. Hilton has a variable number of points based on type of property. The value of those points is roughly 2% of award stay value for that property.
  • SPG has cash and points. Hilton has a broken computer system that often prices things in Dinars.
  • Hilton has "miles + points," SPG has points that are significantly more valuable than miles.
  • SPG has the Lurkers. Hilton has a person in the background who PMs you and then assigns things to folks who rarely follow-through.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by belynch
These threads come up periodically and it always boils down to what each individual values and prefers. There is no perfect loyalty program, but certainly ones are better suited for different types of travelers.
Thank you for the comprehensive list! As a mostly Hilton guy this is what I was looking for. On the whole, I agree. Here are some differences.
  • Corporate customer service HAS IMPROVED, not perfect
  • HHonors program is not that bad? Maybe it used to be worse?
  • Value of points is clearly in favor of SPG = agreed
  • SPG has cash and points. Hilton also has cash and points, with no problems experienced here...

Can you explain this one a little more? It this about flyertalk.com and handling problem posts, I'm guessing? [I'm new here, sorry!]
  • SPG has the Lurkers. Hilton has a person in the background who PMs you and then assigns things to folks who rarely follow-through.

I'm going to stick with Hilton another year, but I'm going to try to build up status as well at SPG. SPG properties, on the whole, are better than Hilton's so it's worth it.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: A menace to everything in the sky. Yes. Even birds.
Programs: Eh+ Rapid Rolleyes
Here are some differences.
  • Corporate customer service HAS IMPROVED, not perfect
  • HHonors program is not that bad? Maybe it used to be worse?
  • Value of points is clearly in favor of SPG = agreed
  • SPG has cash and points. Hilton also has cash and points, with no problems experienced here...
I'm a current HHonors Diamond as well, so my data points are pretty fresh. But, as always, your results will vary.

HHonors isn't really terrible. If you don't know what else is out there, it's a great program. Kind of like folks that always vacation at Disney. If they really like Disney and they're comfortable with Disney they think it's great. And they forget there's a whole world out there.

Can you explain this one a little more? It this about flyertalk.com and handling problem posts, I'm guessing? [I'm new here, sorry!]
No worries, and welcome to FT. It's a great community with lots of collective knowledge. Yes, I was speaking specifically about FT. For example I recently had an issue with the reviews section of spg.com and a Starwood employee researched the issue and posted an answer for everyone to see, to help other folks from experiencing the same problem.

If this was the Hilton board, someone from Hilton corporate would have sent me a private message saying "sorry to hear you had trouble. Can I have someone research and then follow-up with you?" And then no one would have followed-up.

I'm going to stick with Hilton another year, but I'm going to try to build up status as well at SPG. SPG properties, on the whole, are better than Hilton's so it's worth it.
If it isn't broken then it certainly doesn't need to be fixed. :-:
Be warned SPG Gold isn't the best (by a long shot) mid-tier hotel program. And, as much as I about Hilton, Hilton Gold blows SPG Gold out of the water by several metrics.

SPG is quirky in that it's pretty binary, if you're going for status, go for Plat.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 5:23 pm
Original Poster

So I'm looking into this - Leading Hotels World Leaders Club - seems like some tangible benefits - $100 Annual Fee - 1 Free Night per 5 Stays - +Perks

The Leaders Club program has two tiers of membership. Please review these options and select one that best suits your needs and desires.

Access Level

Access is our introductory premium level of Leaders Club. With this level of membership you will enjoy:

Access Level

100 USD annually

* A one-category room upgrade (subject to availability).
* Complimentary continental breakfast for two each day.
* Free Internet access.
* Access to member-only rates available only to Unlimited and Access Members.
* A unique welcome gift at each Leading Hotel.
* Peace of mind that your preferences will be met.
* Early check-in / late check-out considerations (subject to availability).
* Invitations to Leaders Club events.
* A global concierge service to provide any assistance related to your travel to a Leading Hotel.

Leaders Club Rewards

In addition to other Leaders Club benefits, commencing January 1st, 2012, membership in The Leaders Club entitles members to accrue qualifying stays to earn an award certificate that may be redeemed for a complimentary stay at a Member Hotel.
Earning Leaders Club Rewards

For every five qualifying stays completed by a member in a calendar year (January 1st-December 31st), the member will receive an award certificate good for one (1) complimentary night at a Member Hotel of his/her choice. A member must stay at at least two (2) different Member Hotels as part of each of the five (5) qualifying stays. A complimentary night award certificate will expire one year from the date of issuance.
Qualifying Stays

* A "qualifying stay" is one (1) stay at a Member Hotel, regardless of the total number of consecutive nights, whether or not a guest checks out and checks back in again, pursuant to a reservation made at a publically available rate. A qualifying stay requires that the member checks in at the hotel on the date of the reservation and resides in the room for a minimum of one night. The qualifying stay date will be determined by the check-out date.
* Only non-contiguous stays will qualify as separate qualifying stays. For example, a member with three reservations for the same hotel on three (3) consecutive days will only receive credit for one qualifying stay.
* Qualifying stays are calculated during a single calendar year. Qualifying stays may not be carried over to a subsequent calendar year.
* A member may only earn one qualifying stay per reservation, regardless of how many rooms the member has reserved or paid for.
* LHW reserves the right to modify any qualifying stays posted to a member's account in error.
* A stay will not be qualified for a "no show" situation -when a member has made a reservation guaranteed with a credit card but then does not check in to the hotel- whether or not the member's credit card is charged for any portion of the reserved stay per the hotel's "no show" policy.
* If a member uses an award certificate for a single, complimentary night at a Member Hotel, this night will not be a qualifying stay. If a member uses an award certificate for a free night during a multi-night stay, the nights for which the member has paid will be considered a qualifying stay and will count toward the five stays required for an additional award certificate if it otherwise meets the parameters of a qualifying stay.
* A qualifying stay does not include any stays of the following nature: rates booked through a Global Distribution System (GDS); wholesale/tour operator packages; contracted airline crew rates; travel industry rates (including but not limited to travel agent discount rates); complimentary or barter rooms; American Express Membership Rewards Stays; any corporate negotiated rates or any other stay that is not reserved through the LHW reservation channels.
* Retroactive credit for qualifying stays will be issued only for stays that occurred up to thirty (30) days prior to enrolling in The Leaders Club.
* Member stays can be viewed when you log into your Leaders Club Account at www.lhw.com. Should a member have any questions regarding his/her stays, he or she can email his/her inquiries to [email protected].
* A Member will be notified via email that he or she has earned a complimentary night within two (2) weeks of the check out date of his/her fifth qualified stay. The award certificate will automatically be sent via email to the member‟s email address on file.
* Provided a member complies with the requirements set forth herein, there is no limit to the number of complimentary nights that a member can earn in a calendar year.
* If a member believes that he or she did not receive credit for a qualifying stay, he or she must contact The Leaders Club by email at [email protected]. Members may be asked to submit a written request for such credit together with a legible copy of the member's hotel folio. The Leaders Club mailing address is The Leaders Club, The Leading Hotels of the World, 99 Park Avenue, New York, NY 10016. Failure to supply the adequate and unaltered documentation may result in denial of granting the stay as qualified. Requests must be received by LHW within sixty (60) days from the check out date of the stay in question. A late request will not be processed. Written requests must include the member's name, Leaders Club account number, mailing address and daytime telephone number.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 5:34 pm
Original Poster

Also looking into this - Hyatt Diamond - I like the guaranteed suite upgrade 4x year - at least for leisure stays/vacations - you know your getting the suite

Diamond Membership

After 25 eligible stays or 50 eligible nights in a calendar year, you will experience the highest level of membership and have access to our most generous benefits and awards.
Join Hyatt Gold Passport

Achieve rewards even faster with a 30% point bonus when choosing points for your stay

Enjoy the best room available upon arrival, excluding suites1

Receive exclusive access to the Regency Club or Grand Club lounge featuring complimentary continental breakfast and evening hors doeuvres2. Enjoy daily complimentary full breakfast in hotels without a club lounge3

Treat yourself to a suite upgrade at the time of reservation four times annually on paid room nights4

Receive a special welcome point bonus or food and beverage amenity during each stay5

Receive a nightly room refresh6

Receive the confirmed bed type at check-in7

Stay connected with complimentary in-room Internet access8

Expedite check-in at a dedicated area for elite members9

Ensure a room is always available with our 48-hour guarantee10

Extend your stay until 4:00 p.m. with a late check out request11

Book reservations through an exclusive Diamond line
Old Jan 7, 2012, 7:20 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pjoalfa
...but Marriott is a lot tougher to keep status with.
The lounge/breakfast/internet access is pretty much the same for all 3. The lounges in the Hiltons this last year have been the best by far.
If you live in a country that has a Marriott branded CC, then the nights needed can be much more reasonable as the CC will give you an initial number of nights (i.e. 15 nights) plus you get another night for every $3K spent on the card. That can help bring down the nights needed for Gold/Plat with Marriott substantially.

Add to that Marriott has Roll-over nights from the previous year which can also greatly reduce your needed nights. (In fact some have stayed enough in one year to get Plat status for 2 years through roll-overs.) Also, this time of the year, Marriott tends to look at your stay pattern over the previous 3 years and has been very generous in letting those who have shown a pattern of stays keep their Gold/Plat status even if they didn't get the required number of nights the previous year.

And don't forget that Marriott has a Lifetime status. Having LT Plat with Marriott, allows me to stay at other chains to get status there and still keep my Marriott Plat status for those times I want to stay at a Marriott. ^

I have to disagree with the "lounge/breakfast benefit is the same for all 3 chains" statement. Virtually every Marriott property (FS and non-FS) will offer a Gold/Plat free breakfast with Courtyards being the main exception ( for FS weekdays in NA and 7 days a week every where else in the world). And I my understanding of Hilton is that they offer their top elites breakfast 7 days a week af most every property anywhere in the world.

Starwood on the otherhand has far fewer properties with lounges and they don't offer free breakfast at most of their non-FS hotels to anyone. And if the hotel doesn't have a lounge forget it. Both Marriott and Hilton will still offer breakfast to their top elites.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.