FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 802.11n router & 3rd party firmware
View Single Post
Old Jan 5, 2012, 11:07 am
gfunkdave
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nmenaker
They both pretty much just work. I run tomato and dd-wrt for different routers at different locations. QOS, PPPoE, etc., all work fine. For the most part I prefer tomato, but it really isn't in a good engineering/upgrade place at the moment, so if you want it to continue to evolve I would stick with DD-WRT.
Curious what you mean by Tomato not being in a good engineering/upgrade place at the moment. I know the base Tomato hasn't been updated in a year or two, but TomatoUSB is being actively developed by a few people. I use Toastman's build.

Originally Posted by PTravel
I haven't used Tomato, so I have no basis of comparison. I'm not sure, though, what you mean about dd-wrt being pernickety. I've used it on several routers and it has been rock-solid -- far more so than the firmware that came with the router. dd-wrt is also supports a lot more different routers, and comes in a variety of flavors. There's no reason I'm aware of not to use it.
Persnickety was the wrong word. When I've tried DD-WRT in the past, it seemed a little kludgey. For example, I remember it rebooting the router every time I changed any setting. Changing the same setting in Tomato just restarts the appropriate service. It also felt less user friendly.

Perhaps I'll have to try DD-WRT again. Though, Tomato is running on my E3000 just fine. (But I would like to know how to force it to maintain a 300 Mbps connection in 2.4 GHz...)

And yes, PTravel, I seem to remember being the one to recommend you use DD-WRT on that old router you found lying around, so I'm aware of the irony here.