Reload this Page >

802.11n router & 3rd party firmware

Old Dec 26, 11, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone has bought an N router recently and installed third party firmware on it. Ideally I'd like to run Tomato or a derivative, but I suppose DD-WRT could work too.

Which router do you have? I like the idea of a dual-band, dual-radio one but virtually all my devices only support 2.4GHz anyway.

I had been thinking of the Linksys E3000 or a couple of Asus models. What has worked for you?

As for firmware, as I said, I'd prefer Tomato to DD-WRT. But really, the main functionalities I'm looking for are key-based auth for the SSH daemon and reliability. My 4-5 year old WRT54GL is just now starting to die.
Old Dec 26, 11, 2:18 pm

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I have an Asus RT-N13U running DD-WRT and I love it.

I used to run Tomato, but prefer the PPPoE authentication on DD.

My DSL provider sends out a modem/router/AP combo box that throttles my connection, but I have disabled the authentication on that so it is just a dumb pass-through an doesn't slow me down.

The Asus is rock solid and speedy. Highly recommended. Try for a B1 rev model.

I have a Netgear WR3500L with DD installed... also no issues. It was retired in favor of the Asus - PM me if you want it cheap.
Old Dec 26, 11, 2:19 pm

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I should add neither of these are dual band - I just don't need it...
Old Dec 26, 11, 2:37 pm

Also, from slickdeals.net, a $50 Tomato / DD-WRT compatible dual-band model from Cisco...

http://m.slickdeals.net/f/3756868-Cisco-Linksys-E3000-Simultaneous-2-4-5GHz-Dual-Band-Wireless-N-Router-w-4x-Gigabit-Ports-USB-Port-DD-WRT-Tomato-Compatible-refurbished-49-99-with-free-shipping
Old Dec 26, 11, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hey thanks! I ordered the E3000...I figure, for $50 I might as well get dual band, even though I think only one of my devices can use it.
Old Jan 1, 12, 2:39 am

Programs: CO Gold, Hotels.. TBD
Asus RTN-16 or E3000. Both high on recommendations at tomatousb.org
Old Jan 1, 12, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xmlsoa View Post
Asus RTN-16 or E3000. Both high on recommendations at tomatousb.org
Yeah, thanks - I got the E3000. It works well, though it runs really hot.
Old Jan 3, 12, 3:29 pm

Programs: CO Gold, Hotels.. TBD
Originally Posted by gfunkdave View Post
So I heard. I got the RTN-16.
Old Jan 4, 12, 11:40 am

Programs: AA PLT; DL GLD; Hertz #1; Hilton Diamond
I've got the E3000 and I use DD-WRT. My main reason for going for DD-WRT is that I've been using it for years. Call me a curmudgeon, but I ain't changing.
Old Jan 4, 12, 12:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nidem View Post
I've got the E3000 and I use DD-WRT. My main reason for going for DD-WRT is that I've been using it for years. Call me a curmudgeon, but I ain't changing.
DD-WRT always seems very persnickety to me, while Tomato just works. I don't even really use QoS, which is what Tomato was originally known for.
Old Jan 5, 12, 11:17 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
They both pretty much just work. I run tomato and dd-wrt for different routers at different locations. QOS, PPPoE, etc., all work fine. For the most part I prefer tomato, but it really isn't in a good engineering/upgrade place at the moment, so if you want it to continue to evolve I would stick with DD-WRT.
Old Jan 5, 12, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DD-WRT always seems very persnickety to me, while Tomato just works. I don't even really use QoS, which is what Tomato was originally known for.
I haven't used Tomato, so I have no basis of comparison. I'm not sure, though, what you mean about dd-wrt being pernickety. I've used it on several routers and it has been rock-solid -- far more so than the firmware that came with the router. dd-wrt is also supports a lot more different routers, and comes in a variety of flavors. There's no reason I'm aware of not to use it.
Old Jan 5, 12, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nmenaker View Post
They both pretty much just work. I run tomato and dd-wrt for different routers at different locations. QOS, PPPoE, etc., all work fine. For the most part I prefer tomato, but it really isn't in a good engineering/upgrade place at the moment, so if you want it to continue to evolve I would stick with DD-WRT.
Curious what you mean by Tomato not being in a good engineering/upgrade place at the moment. I know the base Tomato hasn't been updated in a year or two, but TomatoUSB is being actively developed by a few people. I use Toastman's build.

Originally Posted by PTravel View Post
I haven't used Tomato, so I have no basis of comparison. I'm not sure, though, what you mean about dd-wrt being pernickety. I've used it on several routers and it has been rock-solid -- far more so than the firmware that came with the router. dd-wrt is also supports a lot more different routers, and comes in a variety of flavors. There's no reason I'm aware of not to use it.
Persnickety was the wrong word. When I've tried DD-WRT in the past, it seemed a little kludgey. For example, I remember it rebooting the router every time I changed any setting. Changing the same setting in Tomato just restarts the appropriate service. It also felt less user friendly.

Perhaps I'll have to try DD-WRT again. Though, Tomato is running on my E3000 just fine. (But I would like to know how to force it to maintain a 300 Mbps connection in 2.4 GHz...)

And yes, PTravel, I seem to remember being the one to recommend you use DD-WRT on that old router you found lying around, so I'm aware of the irony here.
Old Jan 5, 12, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Persnickety was the wrong word. When I've tried DD-WRT in the past, it seemed a little kludgey. For example, I remember it rebooting the router every time I changed any setting. Changing the same setting in Tomato just restarts the appropriate service. It also felt less user friendly.
I've never experienced the reboot issue that you've described. I agree it's not user friendly in the sense that you need to know a bit about what a router does and the documentation is less than complete. However, that's also the trade-off for having extremely complete control over all router functions.

Perhaps I'll have to try DD-WRT again. Though, Tomato is running on my E3000 just fine. (But I would like to know how to force it to maintain a 300 Mbps connection in 2.4 GHz...)
I have dd-wrt running on an E3200 -- it's been up for a couple of months with no real problems at all and, best of all, it gives me rock-solid and reliable VPN (which is what got me interested in dd-wrt in the first place).

And yes, PTravel, I seem to remember being the one to recommend you use DD-WRT on that old router you found lying around, so I'm aware of the irony here.
Ah, yes -- that was, indeed, you. And I thank you for the recommendation -- it's worked out brilliantly.
Old Jan 6, 12, 9:30 am

Programs: AA PLT; DL GLD; Hertz #1; Hilton Diamond
QoS is nearly useless. Unless the ISP classifies return traffic (they won't) it doesn't do much of any good.

Search this Thread