FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flight Crew Priority at check-points
View Single Post
Old Dec 29, 2011, 6:04 am
InkUnderNails

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Jebby_ca
Sorry, just had to vent about my experience today...

AT the YYZ T1 Transborder checkpoint, I was directed into the same lane used by flight crews. When I got into the line, there were a few people in front of me waiting to put their stuff into the x-ray, so I got my stuff ready for my turn. I was all ready, laptops and liquids out, everything on the belt, when the flight crew for a flight shows up together - 6 crew members in total.

I was the next person to put my stuff into the x-ray at this point. 5 of the crew members decide to cut in front of me, while the captain of the flight lets me proceed through the checkpoint first. I had to stand around for an extra few minutes waiting for them to get their stuff out of their bags, but I was all ready to go.

Now, I understand the flight crew get priority over regular passengers - but come on... if you see that I am all ready to proceed through the WTMD, will I really slow you down that much if you let me go first?

I should have thanked the captain loudly, within earshot of his colleagues, for his courtesy to allow me to proceed before going through himself, even though he could have cut in front of me as well.
Although the captain was nice to let you go through first, the flight crew should have been screened together. Their level of scrutiny is less than ours and it makes sense to let their bags go through as a group as it is easier on the xray operator. Either the operator had to change procedure just for your bags and had to know which were yours to do so, our your bag was screened using crew procedure.

You may have gotten a highly dangerous bottle of water through were the latter the case, endangering all of aviation, running the risk of another 9/11 and leading to planes falling out of the sky. For as we are well aware, there is nothing more dangerous than large bottles of water, except for cupcakes.