FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Getting Refund of Award Ticket within 22 Days
Old Dec 15, 2011, 9:17 am
yul7075

Programs: UA*G
Originally Posted by powerbon
Thanks for the answers.

I did a little more searching after I posted. It seems there is a subtlety where for the refund to work, I have to first change the date, then cancel 22+ days before the new departure date.

I have read that if one cancels the ticket within 22 days and then get it re-booked, even if you then cancel again more than 22 days out, you cannot get a refund. (kind of like you are allowed to cancel once).

This is unfortunate for me since I don't know when I can travel again. If I cancel the ticket now, I might be able to rebook it later if I can use the ticket before it expires. But the way it works, I lose the opportunity to get a refund if I do that and end up not being able to use the ticket next year. Given the fact that I have $320 of taxes on the line, that doesn't seem like a risk that is worth taking.

The way I look at it now, change and cancel is like paying $40+tax ($360 change/cancel fees - $320 taxes recovered) for 30K miles.

Does what I say make sense?
You should be able to get a full refund of your fees paid for the ticket without reinstating the miles for $90 this fee and taxes is collected on behalf of AC