FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sydney to Iceland via China. Mostly J, some China Domestic Y and Magnetic Levitation!
Old Nov 27, 2011, 8:02 pm
sydunipete

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
Arn - pek ca912 b777

All my flights so far had been daytime flights. This leg and the next were to be red eyes. I normally prefer overnight legs as I sleep reasonably well (especially after a few Air China sized Whiskeys) and I'd prefer not to lose a day when travelling away from home.

I caught the bus in to the airport and due to hotel check out times I arrived early. Checkin opened 3 hours before departure. While waiting I reminised about Scandinavian at Copenhagen airport where you can check in 24 hours in advance. But I guess that's the home team advantage.

Check in is at one end of this long airport and the boarding gate was at the exact opposite walking through a long dark corridor (there is another way, but I followed the check in person's instructions). Think old Franfurt airport with a whole bunch of light globes out. Maybe this is to soften you up for the Duty Free zone which is lit up like a Christmas Tree (and is where I should have gone through security).

The highight of the trip though was the best looking immigration officer I have ever seen. She was Swedish blonde and her uniform top was a size or two too small (if you know what I mean). She was pleasant and a great farewell Sweden image (or so I thought) to be left with.

Unfortunately, unlike every other airport in the world (that I know of anyway) the business class lounge is before immigration, not after. So with close to 3 hours to kill before my flight it was worth going back out through arrivals, explaining to the usual dour incoming immigration officer my logic (she muttered something in Swedish to her team member - probably "bloody tourists"), re-entering security (near the duty free zone this time) and arriving at the lounge. I made a mental note to allow a bit of time to reach my flight at the right time. It was a fair walk to the gate, plus I would no doubt have to explain myself to Britt Ekland's love child at immigration.

Anyway, I'm now back on track.

CA912 ARN - PEK B777 B-2067

As usual, there was hardly any signage to the lounge, just a single sign out the front of the lounge. It was dark and closed-in with no views at all. It was reasonably full and since I don't like taking photos which include other travellers, it was too hard to take a photo of the lounge and its facilities.

There was a small range of cold snacks, wine & beer. Free Wifi (username and passwords handed out by the lounge dragnon) and computer terminals. Interestingly there was a bookshelf with real books, rather than just magazines and newspapers.

The sparkling wine was Charles de Fere Cuvee Jean-Louis Blanc de Blancs Brut which was really quite approachable despite being at room temperature. I noted it was made with Ugni Blanc and "various other grapes" according to the wine maker notes. There was also a South African Semillon Chardonnay (Tokolosh 2010).

Leaving enough time I left the lounge and at immigration chose Britt's queue. She was on autopilot until she recognised me (or my passport, or her stamp inside it) and I explained my earlier plight and she gave me a lovely bemused smile before restamping my passport and waving me through.

Onboard 4 rows of business class was two thirds full. There were 2 rows of first class (in 2-2-2 configuration) with no takers. The first class seats looked like SQ regional business class so it's not surprising it was empty.

Business Class was also 2-2-2 with the least leg-room and least comfortable business class seat I think I've ever had in long-haul business class. Even a shocking TG flight I had about 7 years ago was better. My remote wouldn't retract to its housing, seats were shabby, at least one other was broken and a couple of other business class passengers seem to have been seated apart. The lack of a shell seat meant I got some movement from the person behind me.

Remember this photo is on long-haul business class!

There was a tiny low-tide glass of champagne to get things started. I was so thirsty after my long walk it didn't last long enough for a photo.

I couldn't find a power socket or inflight magazine, just duty free catalogues.

Then it got into the Air China routine, hot towels, menus handed out and orders for all meals and drinks taken while taxiing.

The salmon curry was the spiciest dish I'd eaten in 3 weeks and unfortunately wine service was very slow and english was the worst of any Air China flight I had. When I asked for a glass of the French White, a glass of water promptly arrived accompanied by a smile and a flutter of false eye lashes.

Main meals this time came out with the foil still on top but service was finished 1 hr 35 mins after take-off. The meal however was tasty.

I did my usual trick and ordered a whiskey. Here's what arrived:

There was no AVOD, just 7 video channels with dated selections and a tiny little screen.

Service commenced again at 8:17am Beijing time and was done by 8:37 with still 1 hr 20 mins before landing. Why can't they start it say 60 mins prior to landing? But it was a good hearty breakfast including corn flakes and cold milk:

Beijing pollution started to enter the cabin during descent and coughing started to pick up through the passengers.

Landed at 9:50 at gate at 9:55am - right on time. There wasn't a single announcement from the flight deck and FA english was barely passable. I'd hate to have to rely upon their instructions in an emergency.