Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > Trip Reports
Reload this Page >

Sydney to Iceland via China. Mostly J, some China Domestic Y and Magnetic Levitation!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sydney to Iceland via China. Mostly J, some China Domestic Y and Magnetic Levitation!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2011, 8:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sydunipete
given the complexities of travel in China I would do a tour again there (whereas everywhere else in the world I'm an independent traveller).
Would you mind elaborating about these complexities? I live in China and have never found getting around, eating, sleeping, etc to be any more difficult than in the US or Europe. Furthermore, I'm a staunch proponent of independent travel.
Old Dec 6, 2011, 2:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by tangof1
Thanks for the info, also where did you stay in Reykjavik and how good are the prices there (to eat and shop)
I stayed at Hotel Odinsve and I would recommend it highly. The most comfortable (and warm) hotel bed I've ever experienced, very friendly and helpful staff, billiant location - a quiet area but just a block or so from the main street. On the negative side the breakfast was just ok and my bathroom was European size (small). I don't know about other rooms. Like all of Iceland the cold water was like fresh spring water from the tap and the hot water was endless and hot. The hot water is volcanic geothermal water and smells a little of sulpher. (But by no means unpleasant.)

Iceland is expensive by most European standards but is much cheaper than Sweden (my next stop on the trip). So it really depends upon your frame of reference. I've been advised not to hire a car there unless you want to deprive your children of their entire inheritance.

But it is a fantastic experience. Hang the expense! You'll love it.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 12:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by moondog
Would you mind elaborating about these complexities? I live in China and have never found getting around, eating, sleeping, etc to be any more difficult than in the US or Europe. Furthermore, I'm a staunch proponent of independent travel.
Moondog, sorry for not responding earlier. Somehow I missed your post.

I too am a proponent of independent travel. In fact this was must first ever tour and in hindsight, I'm glad I did it that way.

I'm sure you're right about getting around in China. It was my first trip there and without any experience I thought the lack of English, sheer size of the place and mystery would make it difficult to do independently. It was my perception at the time.

If I went back, I'd probably do another tour, but would definitely appreciate more free time or extend my trip to give me a few days by myself.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Heading off to Iceland tomorrow on SAS and enjoyed your report!
Old Jul 22, 2012, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Heading off to Iceland tomorrow on SAS and enjoyed your report!
Enjoy your trip. One year down the track and I still think it's one of the most interesting places I've ever visited. Definitely eat some lamb chops (one of my lasting memories).

For day trips I can recommend GTI (Gateway to Iceland). I think it will be close to the season for the northern lights. That is also well worth a night out.

And remember the key phrase "eg tala ekki islensku". It means I don't speak Icelandic.

Enjoy.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 7:53 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, US/UA Gold, National Executive, Avis First, Accor Platinum
Just a friendly heads up, but that wasn't Austrian they were speaking to you at VIE...

It's German.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by PurduExpat37
Just a friendly heads up, but that wasn't Austrian they were speaking to you at VIE...

It's German.
Thank you. I normally do a fair bit of research on each country I'm about to visit and at least try to be able the say the basics (hello, yes, no, thank you, good bye, two beers please), but since I was just transiting in Vienna I didn't do as much research as I should. Thanks for helping.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 9:48 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Nice report. Some stuff we don't see too often here. Thanks for sharing.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 11:38 am

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by sydunipete
FM9207 - PVG to XIY. 19 Oct 11.
Seat 23D. B737-800.
Domestic Economy Class
12:00 scheduled departure.

Domestic, economy, China, discount airline : All the signs of a winner right!

Shanghai airport is a massive beast with gates up to C223.

Signs were dual language pointing to exotic destinations.

One of the shops in the airport was selling live crabs. Their nippers were tied in place, but the smell was obvious and I was hoping nobody on our flight had a taste for these delicacies.

Aircraft B-5320 was in fair condition.

I didn't get to sample the lounge as I was flying on a pre-organised economy fare and I also can't report upon the 8 first class seats (although they did look very comfortable and they were very ornately decorated).

Economy was the usual 3-3 configuration. Leg room was normal for economy domestic. (Remember I'm 192cms tall.)

A normal person fits like this:

We were subject to several safety briefings, some pre-recorded, some live and unlike the previous Air China briefing there were largely legible to my western ears.

Push back was a few minutes late due to air traffic control prior to a tour of all the taxiways. Well it seemed that way.

Lunch was a choice of fish and rice or beef and noodles. I was one of the last server and they had just ran out of beef. Beer or soft drink was available. It was all tasty enough, served on a plastic tray and with a plastic cup for the drink.

There was generally poor cabin discipline with people wandering through the cabin while the seat belt sign was on and even during push back and using mobile phones while taxiing.

Before landing we entered the toxic air of a Chinese city made worse by the manufacturing base of Xi-An burning brown coal by the metric truck load.

The airport signs were in Chinglish.

And there was the usual scrum for bags. For once, mine as one of the first off and that was without the aid of a priority tag!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.