FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sydney to Iceland via China. Mostly J, some China Domestic Y and Magnetic Levitation!
Old Nov 25, 2011, 8:14 pm
sydunipete

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
Sk884 osl - arn 737-800

Firstly, sorry for the delay in adding to the blog, unfortunately the delay isn't due to travel, but to normal work commitments.

SK884 OSL - ARN 737-800 LN-RRA Seat 5A

What an odd flight. Last time I was in Oslo, about 4 days prior, the lounge was deserted. This time is was absolutely full. I guess a 17:40 departure puts this right in the middle of peak hour.

My first concern was as I went through transit security I noticed my boarding pass was listed as Y Class and for a 737 seat 5A was a fair way back especially compared to my recent flights. But it was a short flight and I didn't have long in the lounge so I suspected it was an all economy leg.

First surprise, they let me in to the lounge with a Y boarding pass. I only have about 15 mins here and I leave in plenty of time to get to the gate and I wait another 10 mins.

Second surprise is when I board there are 4 rows of Economy Extra and I' seated behind that section in the first row behind the magical curtain. All seats are full in a 3-3 configuration and no reserved seats in the middle.

Third surprise was after boarding was complete an FA came back and slid the magic curtain one row further back in include my row. I suddenly felt special again.

There's no photos on this leg because it really was quite crowded. No elbow of leg room so I just bunkered down for the short flight to Stockholm.

Again, like last time in Oslo, a very short push back and no sparing of the horses in taxiing.

Not long after take off snack boxes are rapidly handed out to those forward of the magic curtain followed by drinks (Beer or wine included) then coffee or tea. The box contained cold roast beef and vegies, a piece of chocolate & water. Just enough to eat prior to clean up before descent. Everything on time.

Fourth surprise, and this one not so pleasant is for the first time I get the experience that lonely feeling of standing at the luggage carousel long after all your flight buddies had left with their bags. All this after me being so impressed with the yellow line about a metre away from the carousel to hopefully stop people crowding forward. (My biggest gripe about fellow travellers.)

1 hour 20 mins at Oslo obviously wasn't enough transit time for my bag.

I give it a few minutes then give up and proceed to the Baggage Service Desk where I got a number which was prioritised by travel class. The lady took my details, asked me to identify what my bag looked like then indicated she had no record of where it might be. She gave me a reference number, some reassuring words and small folder with the relevant details.

By the time I got to my hotel (about an hour from the airport) I went to the website listed in the information pack and it said my bag was found and delivery was being initiated.

By 5:30am I got a message in my room that the bag had arrived and for me to call the front desk when I was ready for it to be delivered.

I was pretty happy with the whole experience. I used to keep my toiletry pack in my hand luggage and did this for many years until once my after shave leaked and ruined my mobile phone. So ever since I've lived life on the edge and packed my shaving bag in my main luggage. I figure worst case I have to buy a toothbrush and razor. Mind you, in Stockholm that sort of extravagent purchase could send you broke. I was astounded at the prices of things. About $7 for 2 stops on the metro (Slussen to Centralen) and about $30 in a cab for the same distance which was easily walkable once I knew thew way.