FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Andiamo piggyback-strap?
View Single Post
Old Nov 24, 2011, 7:33 am
WillCAD

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by jcricket
Hi Laird - thanks so much for the idea.

Both the large and small suitcases say "ITW Nexus, TSR 150" and it's the female connector. So what you're saying is I need to find some male connectors and have someone make me a strap with the male connector on each end (that's the way the andiamo straps work).

For example: http://cgi.ebay.com/10ea-1-1-2-ITW-N...#ht_1837wt_189

Has both the female and male parts, but can just discard the female parts, no?

Isn't there any way I can just find a used andiamo strap... I've been searching in vain.
Originally Posted by hooterbif
One of the buckles on my Andiamo top strap broke today. The part is YKK LB38PT: http://www.ykkfastening.com/products...kle/lb-pt.html

I also just want to buy a whole strap because even if I did get a new buckle, there is no way to thread it on to the existing strap.
I'm not familiar with Andiamo products, but I am familiar with this type of buckle and the webbing which goes with it. Polypropylene (polypro) webbing is inexpensive and easy to work with. I use it in my camera strap products and to create custom straps for luggage and bags.

If you've got broken buckles on one of your straps, it's most likely a 15-minute repair job for someone with a sewing machine. The original stitching will have to be pulled out, then a new buckle sewn into place. On a removable strap, that's easy; on the luggage itself, it's harder, because it's impossible to get the luggage onto the sewing machine, so it would have to be hand-stitched.

All you need to do is get yourself some replacement buckles and find someone who can do some basic sewing. Heck, you could do it yourselves if you can hand-stitch - just get a cheap travel sewing kit with threads of the appropriate color, and a seam ripper tool to pull the original stitching out. If you have no sewing experience it might take you an hour and the stitching might be ugly, but it would be functional.

Since you only need one replacement buckle, you can also take the broken strap to the camping isle at WalMart; they carry buckled straps for about $3 each which have side-release buckles. If they fit, you've got your replacement buckle. If not, you'll have to order them online. ITW Nexus is a very common plastic buckle, so it won't be hard to find them, just be sure you get the appropriate width (they come in 1/2", 3/4", 1", 1-1/2" and 2" sizes, most luggage straps are 1-1/2").