Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Travel Products
Reload this Page >

Andiamo piggyback-strap?

Andiamo piggyback-strap?

Old Jan 2, 2011, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Andiamo piggyback-strap?

So now that Andiamo and whoever bought them are out of business, I've been searching in vain to find the replacement "straps" you can use to connect the smaller and larger pieces of luggage together. I have both 25" Valoroso and Tuxedo, as well as smaller wheeled carry-ons from the same lines, so I'm looking for a couple of straps (don't know how they went missing). They have buckles on both ends but are otherwise just straps.

Alternatively, I could buy one of the third-party straps, but if I can find something that uses the built-in buckles on the Andiamo luggage I have, that'd be great.

Any leads/ideas?
Old Jan 5, 2011, 2:53 pm

There is a product called the "Train Reaction Device". You can google it. Might be what you're looking for if you can't find something to utilize the buckles on your bag.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 3:16 pm

Programs: AA GLD 1MM, WN CP, etc. etc.
Is the fitting on the bag a female side release buckle? (E.g.:

If so, there will (almost certainly) be very tiny lettering on it (possibly inside it) identifying the manufacturer and model. It might be ITW Nexus, or Hi Tex, or any of quite a few manufacturers. (Each side release buckle is slightly different, so you probably need the exact mating part.)

Given the manufacturer name and rough dimensions, you can probably find the mating part and get a shoe repair shop to make you a strap.
Old Jan 8, 2011, 10:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lairdb
Is the fitting on the bag a female side release buckle? (E.g.:

If so, there will (almost certainly) be very tiny lettering on it (possibly inside it) identifying the manufacturer and model. It might be ITW Nexus, or Hi Tex, or any of quite a few manufacturers. (Each side release buckle is slightly different, so you probably need the exact mating part.)

Given the manufacturer name and rough dimensions, you can probably find the mating part and get a shoe repair shop to make you a strap.
Hi Laird - thanks so much for the idea.

Both the large and small suitcases say "ITW Nexus, TSR 150" and it's the female connector. So what you're saying is I need to find some male connectors and have someone make me a strap with the male connector on each end (that's the way the andiamo straps work).

For example: http://cgi.ebay.com/10ea-1-1-2-ITW-N...#ht_1837wt_189

Has both the female and male parts, but can just discard the female parts, no?

Isn't there any way I can just find a used andiamo strap... I've been searching in vain.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 7:27 pm

Programs: UA General Member, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Silver, Hertz 5-star Gold
buckle

One of the buckles on my Andiamo top strap broke today. The part is YKK LB38PT: http://www.ykkfastening.com/products...kle/lb-pt.html

I also just want to buy a whole strap because even if I did get a new buckle, there is no way to thread it on to the existing strap.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 7:33 am

Programs: Southwest Rapid Rewards. Tha... that's about it.
Originally Posted by jcricket
Hi Laird - thanks so much for the idea.

Both the large and small suitcases say "ITW Nexus, TSR 150" and it's the female connector. So what you're saying is I need to find some male connectors and have someone make me a strap with the male connector on each end (that's the way the andiamo straps work).

For example: http://cgi.ebay.com/10ea-1-1-2-ITW-N...#ht_1837wt_189

Has both the female and male parts, but can just discard the female parts, no?

Isn't there any way I can just find a used andiamo strap... I've been searching in vain.
Originally Posted by hooterbif
One of the buckles on my Andiamo top strap broke today. The part is YKK LB38PT: http://www.ykkfastening.com/products...kle/lb-pt.html

I also just want to buy a whole strap because even if I did get a new buckle, there is no way to thread it on to the existing strap.
I'm not familiar with Andiamo products, but I am familiar with this type of buckle and the webbing which goes with it. Polypropylene (polypro) webbing is inexpensive and easy to work with. I use it in my camera strap products and to create custom straps for luggage and bags.

If you've got broken buckles on one of your straps, it's most likely a 15-minute repair job for someone with a sewing machine. The original stitching will have to be pulled out, then a new buckle sewn into place. On a removable strap, that's easy; on the luggage itself, it's harder, because it's impossible to get the luggage onto the sewing machine, so it would have to be hand-stitched.

All you need to do is get yourself some replacement buckles and find someone who can do some basic sewing. Heck, you could do it yourselves if you can hand-stitch - just get a cheap travel sewing kit with threads of the appropriate color, and a seam ripper tool to pull the original stitching out. If you have no sewing experience it might take you an hour and the stitching might be ugly, but it would be functional.

Since you only need one replacement buckle, you can also take the broken strap to the camping isle at WalMart; they carry buckled straps for about $3 each which have side-release buckles. If they fit, you've got your replacement buckle. If not, you'll have to order them online. ITW Nexus is a very common plastic buckle, so it won't be hard to find them, just be sure you get the appropriate width (they come in 1/2", 3/4", 1", 1-1/2" and 2" sizes, most luggage straps are 1-1/2").
Old Nov 26, 2011, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA, Hertz, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by jcricket
So now that Andiamo and whoever bought them are out of business, I've been searching in vain to find the replacement "straps" you can use to connect the smaller and larger pieces of luggage together. I have both 25" Valoroso and Tuxedo, as well as smaller wheeled carry-ons from the same lines, so I'm looking for a couple of straps (don't know how they went missing). They have buckles on both ends but are otherwise just straps.

Alternatively, I could buy one of the third-party straps, but if I can find something that uses the built-in buckles on the Andiamo luggage I have, that'd be great.

Any leads/ideas?
I believe I have several of the exact straps you are mentioning. My wife and I have three Andiamo suitcases, but we have never used the straps. They are brand new and just sitting in my closet in the original accessory plastic bag they came in.

Send me a message if you are interested, and we can discuss specifics.

Last edited by Digits; Nov 26, 2011 at 5:37 pm
Old Jan 8, 2012, 10:30 am

Programs: UA General Member, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Silver, Hertz 5-star Gold
YKK sent me buckles for free and my local tailor did the sewing job for $6.

Nonetheless, I appreciate Digits info and will PM him.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.