FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Flyertalk loses it's "Heart"
View Single Post
Old Aug 30, 2000, 10:38 am
ozstamps
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold

I think the "good ole days/nostalgia" thread is running right here folks:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum1/HTML/003318.html

Coke is no longer a nickel, gas costs more than 10c a gallon, TV is no longer black and white, and DC3's are not the backbone of the aviation industry.

Things move on. Fine boards like FT get bigger. New people come. Old people go. Look back at any thread from a year back and see how FEW of these are still here posting. Nothing to do with me or others - just evolution. Like it or not this is internet life in the 21st Century.

If I (and others) ruffle the "old boys club" so be it. There is a large enough gang to close ranks and self protect the status quo. A lot of that has no factual basis behind it IMHO, but it will happen all the same - it is the nature of BB's to try and repel boarders.

Never forget the newbies of today are the old boys of 2001. Those still here will I am sure impart useful advice to newcomers, and interact socially at FT functions, along with the core of current old hands who clearly will still be here and active.

It is sad to see a well known long time poster is now transformed into his alter ego "Not So New Here" so he can post all kinds of things on various boards, mainly directed at me that he apparently is not man enough to place his regular handle upon. The identity of that poster I'll happily give you a blueprint for!

I sent a long letter to someone (with a real name and an e-mail address!) who has posted above, who may choose to circulate it. He made some very sensible points. I sent it hours before I saw this thread, and was glad I wrote it before reading this.

Just because I have chosen to spend a decent slab of time daily on this board in recent months is my choice, not ANYONE else's here. If I am on-line 20 times more than many, (which is the case) it is not unreasonable to post 20 times more - basic math.

If you do not care to read or respond, that is your call. No-one holds a gun to anyone's head here. I am happy to get along, but when a posse of whooping indians pounces on any little thing it does make it difficult.

Judging by the positive emails I get from those too timid (or wise!) to enter into some of the frays, the regard for the old boy network is not as rock solid as many might imagine.

------------------
~ Glen ~