FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sydney to Iceland via China. Mostly J, some China Domestic Y and Magnetic Levitation!
Old Nov 17, 2011, 7:52 pm
sydunipete

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
Sk4788 kef - osl

After close to a week in Iceland (and that's enough) it was time to start the return journey home to the other side of the planet. I loved my time in Iceland - it is so different to home with the Sun never rising too far above the horizon, a rugged beauty to the countryside, a quaint and picturesque capital city and lamb that is to die for. I managed to get a great view of the Northern Lights braving minus 10 degree (with wind chill) cold.

I'll definitely be back.

SK4788 KEF - OSL Seat 2C on a 737-800 - LN-RRT

Just over an hour before boarding I arrived at the airport, was the only person at check in and reached security where they had to raise a roller door to let me in. This obviously isn't the busiest airport in the world.

There were no signs to the lounge so I just kept walking past all the gates until right at the end I saw a sign for the Iceland Air Saga Lounge. Sure enough - that was it. It was nearly deserted and quite a closed in lounge. But otherwise fine.

It had to have the coolest lounge art I've seen in any lounge.

There was plenty of food with a selecton of pastries, cold snacks, fresh cookies and macarons, spirits, beer and wine.

WiFi, a business centre with terminals. Newspapers and a shower. With the nearby Blue Lagoon this would be a pleasant way of breaking up a trans Atlantic trip.

There was no priority boarding. There were only 2 in business class from 10 seats. It's a 3x3 configuration with the middle seat reserved and 2 1/2 rows. Right hand side has row 1, left hand side does not. Right had side bulkhead has just a touch more leg room with a small well for hand luggage (or your feet).

I heard the pilot being told 74+1 onboard.

Economy passengers were allowed to come forward to use the business class toilet, but with just the two of us, no matter how much we drank we wouldn't be able to keep it fully occupied. But it is a challenge worth thinking about.

Lunch was a rather bland pepper steak, corn fritters, potato and capsicum. Just ok.

But due to there just being 2 of us, the FA just hung about providing excellent, responsive and personal service.

The Captain came out and asked for a newspaper. Now I'm not sure I want him to be reading up on current affairs. I'd prefer he spends the flight watching dials and lights and things.

Landed on-time before transiting at Oslo again for my next leg to Stockholm. I made if with some time to spare, but I suspect this is where by bag went astray. But more on that next post.