FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sydney to Iceland via China. Mostly J, some China Domestic Y and Magnetic Levitation!
Old Nov 14, 2011, 10:34 pm
sydunipete

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
SK4787 OSL - KEF (Reykjavik)

737-400 LN-TUF
Seat 1A

After my previous flight I did the usual transit additional security check which is upstairs and is certainly better than the queue I saw at the main entrance.

Oslo has a fairly large lounge at at 1:30pm I was the only person there. It was eerily quiet with just the occasional public space announcement disturbing the silence. (On my return trip it was full to the gunwales.)

Typical Scandinavian, but to my mind not as nice as Copenhagen. There was a small selection of food, some of which I didn't recognise, nibblies, no alcohol beer, a small selection of wine, soft drinks, coffee machine, free wifi, computer terminals and as a real estate agent would say "filtered" views of the runway.

At the lounge I enjoyed a very pleasant Schiller Alsace Riesling. Young, pale and a drink now style - perfect for the circumstances. I also sampled the Laroche Chardonnay "L" Vin Pays D'Oc 2010. Lots of fruit salad and oak cried out for a pork dish to bring out its best.

One interesting aspect about the airport is that newspapers were being delivered through the airport by people on scooters. Silent and deadly if you didn't keep your eyes open. (of after a few too many wines from the lounge!)

There are three sections to this airport, domestic, international (Schengen) and Internation (Non Schengen). My flight departed from the last gate before international international. The plane arrived late from its previous destination and loading was happening at 1R while we arrived at 1L.

The plane itself had one row of business class (3+3 seating with the middle seat reserved), one row of economy extra (same configuration) then economy.

As "boarding complete" was announced I looked around at a desserted business class and economy extra. Announcements were in Norwegian (I presume) with no English translation (a first for me). But I guess I already know how to do up a seat belt.

One interesting thing I noticed about Oslo is how short the pushback was for all flights. Just enough to clear the jet bridge. Then the aircraft pushes forward under its own steam turning hard straight away. Then a rapid taxi with no sparing of the horses on our way to the runway.

Once at cruising I could feel daggers in my back as the purser announced "for today's inflight service we will be serving a hot meal, tea, coffee and drinks in business class, in economy extra we will be serving a cold mean, tea, coffee and drinks. And in economy you may buy a drink."

Hot towel and pre-dinner drink and I looked across at the empty premium cabin.

The meal was Salmon (again) with potatos and lots of thyme and vegies. Cheese platter, an appetiser I didn't recognise. Small chocolate bar. Great service, "is everything ok" and plenty of top ups.

The white whine was 2010 Dona Dominga Chardonnay from Chile which did the trick nicely. And they had a few bottles on board (I know!). When one bottle was nearing its end the FA would stand over me, rake it from my hands as I poured the last drop and ask if I wanted another.

He were heading SSW most of the way with a long, beautiful sunset out my window for most of the flight and only as we started to descend did the sky get darker and we landed in pitch black about 15 mins behind schedule.

I had seen lots of videos of Reykjavik being used as a location for test landing in strong cross winds and I can see why. Although ours was reasonably smooth, the land is flat and open and the ocean covered with white tops.