FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sydney to Iceland via China. Mostly J, some China Domestic Y and Magnetic Levitation!
Old Nov 13, 2011, 8:18 pm
sydunipete

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
Vie - osl os335

OS335 VIE - OSL
Fokker 100 by Tyrolean Airway
OE-LVI

I didn't have too much time at Vienna, but enough to check out the lounge. The Austrian Business Lounge is pretty standard European stuff except they possess what is possibly the worst curtains I've even seen. They're bright green lining a curved corridor.

They're worse than the FA uniforms which are all red from head to toe. My camera would explode if I took a photo of an FA in front of the green curtains.

After checking at the front desk you go to a fairly standard lounge. But the secret is to head towards the toilets, trying not to be put off by the curtains. Beyond the toilets opens up a more casual lounge with an open air feel and great view of aircraft operations. It's more crowded as a result.

These photos are of the boring side.

WiFi is easy, free and airport wide. No boarding calls, good selection of drinks including lots of spirits at 9:20am!

The Muenzenrieder Traminer Classic was a pleasant drop (I reasoned that it was after 7pm in Sydney), dry but with enough acidity to accompany most foods.

The toilet was a bit unusual. I've seen many different toilet setups in my travels, but this one was a first for me. It's sort of hard to describe and probably not the best topic for public consumption. But if you go to this lounge, be careful and check them out.

At gate it was probably the most strict security I've gone through (not a bad thing) but they kept speaking Austrian (I presume) to me even though it was clear I didn't understand. So I got the full treatment.

There isn't much space at the gate and there was no sign of boarding 20 mins after the boarding time shown on the boarding pass.

Onboard the F100 there's plenty of legroom in this bulkhead seat with a 2+3 configuration with blocked out seats effectively creating 1 + 2. (Book the A seats if you're a solo traveller.

The last person on board sat next to me, put his bags in the coat locker and settled in. he was promptly moved back by the FA explaining this was business class.

6 out of 9 seats taken in Business Class. (3 rows of 3 occupied by a couple of 4 singles including myself.)

A hot meal was offered with a choice of drinks. It was Salmon with rost and pesto sauce. One of the best in flight meals I've eaten and was accompanied by antipasto and a dessert.

After business class was served (paper table cloth on a plastic tray) the economy trolley was wheeled out and the 2 FAs served the rest of the cabin which meant a short wait for a drink top up. But every time one of them came forward to get something from the galley our drinks were checked.

Great FA service, a smooth landing at Oslo and an on-time landing after a very picturesque approach.