FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sydney to Iceland via China. Mostly J, some China Domestic Y and Magnetic Levitation!
Old Nov 9, 2011, 7:25 pm
sydunipete

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
Magnetic Levitation

Although not strictly a flight, it's not strictly ground transport either. The Magnetic Levitation (MagLev) for short is the coolest way to transfer between Shanghai Pudong Airport and the city.

You can catch a bus and enjoy the experience of Shanghai traffic and smog, you could walk the 30 km (which is probably quicker than the bus), or you can experience the MagLev.

The train quickly accelerates from the station to its top speed of 431 kmph. It's rattling along to the point where several photos I took of the in carriage speedo just came out blurred. But I did get one decent shot at high speed.

Not long after reaching top speed it's time to commence descent and slow down for the destination. The train covers 30 km in just over 7 minutes and for a ticket price of 50 RMB (about $7) for "ordinary class" or double that for "VIP class" this is a) a bargain b) cool and c) a lot of fun. (But then again I thought the same thing of a Segway tour I did in Paris a few years back.)

I managed to video the passing countryside at the time that a MagLev heading in the opposite direction passed by. The sound and feeling was like a canon shot : at a head on speed of 860 kmph you realise how quick these things move.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/phot...eat=directlink

Last edited by sydunipete; Nov 10, 2011 at 12:28 am