FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Redeye Rudeness - Pilot as Passenger
View Single Post
Old Nov 1, 2011, 7:41 pm
jrl767
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
... Particularly on a red eye or a overnight long haul, you should keep your voice down because most people try to sleep. Of course you can talk, but talk so just the person next to you can hear, not the whole cabin. There is a huge difference. ... There is no reason to be loud and act like its your living room or office. This is exactly why I hope that there will never, ever be cell phone service on planes. ...
Originally Posted by bennos
... what we're left with is etiquette... ie: being polite to each other. On a redeye, common sense says that most people will want to sleep and therefore etiquette is to be quiet (keep conversation to a whisper). The same way that etiquette says circumstances of a movie theater mean you shouldn't talk above a whisper.
bingo ... +1 to both

Originally Posted by designflaw
If something bothered me this much, I would have asked the PAX politely to calm it down, I was trying to sleep.
that would have been difficult to do with boarding going on, during pushback/taxi/takeoff, and before the seat belt sign was turned off ... had I been in 10A rather than in 2 I would have spoken to him in a heartbeat

Originally Posted by AJDelvarno
Why the first paragraph about your wife not taking your upgrade? You don’t mention that the talking bothered her at all…and she was sitting in Row 10… Since this post is all about how the talking affected you, I’m not sure why it’s there… Just an observation. ...
have you read the multitude of posts on here with the multitude of opinions about whether to keep the UG or offer it to your spouse/significant other/boss ???

she had her iPod and iPad with earbuds, and she is perfectly capable of bringing another passenger's rudeness to their (or the FA's) attention (although probably reluctant to do either)

Sounds as though the passengers did eventually quiet down within 15-20 minutes of the FAs getting up, and not even necessarily as a result of your complaints to the FA....
true but irrelevant

Seems to me you made a bit more about this than necessary. That said, I’m sure your fellow FC passengers enjoyed watching the glares and the “throat cut” and “shhhhh” charades… Short word...Sounds like...Three letters...Pirates of the Caribbean...
most everyone else in F (at least those I could see in rows 3 and 4, and the other three seats in 2) had their eyes closed ... the gesture was only after about my fifth glare

Originally Posted by FrankC6
Exactly! Just like most airlines require all passengers to close window shades on redeyes (there goes one's right to look out of the window) ....
thanks for reminding me; that request occurred too (and it was barely dawn as we descended thru the overcast at 0615)

Originally Posted by spartanflyer
If courtesy were common, everyone would have it.
that was exactly my point -- "rather disturbing that a line pilot and another DL employee apparently didn't understand (or just chose to ignore) ..."